Capping a toilet ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Thanks to all in advance.

We are removing a toilet in an old broom which will become a closet .. floor will be carpet..

The toilet is now gone and the plumber left a plug in its place.

I am wondering what the best option is to cap this off below the current floor level so we can carpet over the area?

The flange, etc. are all glued together and I am trying to figure out how to do this without future leaks etc. We reall do not have access to the pipes from underneath, only what you would see if you were in the room?

Is there an option here or do I need access to below?

Thanks for any info.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The toilet is now gone and the plumber left a plug in its place...
Why would you let the plumber leave without finishing the job? Most any decent plumber would have a saw that can cut the pipe from the inside, remove the flange, and install a permanent cap or cleanout plug. Even with the toilet gone, there might still be a requirement for a cleanout. Or maybe not...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are willing to pay a plumber to pull up the floor and cap it lower down, I'm sure that can be done. You want to spend how much? What is the budget here?

Or, you can put a mechanical plug in it for now, and if you change your mind later on, you can go back to the plug later.
Many pipes are installed using rubber couplings with shielded bands. Rubber is and has been used for some time now on plumbing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
An internal cutter can cut the pipe off below the floor level, and once it is out, the gap left by the flange should be large enough to slide a cap over the cut piece.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
If it were me I would leave the plumbing and put a piece of plywood over the floor or a box around the closet flange. You may not want a toilet there now but who knows what may change in the future, and a bump in the floor of a closet should not be a big deal.

So yes you could remove it but cap or plug with a box over it should be fine.
Michael

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

The reason the plumber left it there is we were turning a bedroom into a bathroom and needed the toilet to use until the very end ...

Based on what you have told me he will need to come back out regardless as I prefer the interior cut and cap method described ..

if there is ever the need to put a toilet in this room again I will not be married when it happens!

Thanks again for the help.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't just put a plywood cap over it anyway, that would leak sewer gas. You have to cut the flange off and use a proper cap. I you have access under the floor, you could cut the pipe yourself, but otherwise let the plumber use the inside cutter and cap it off. Even if you sometime did change your mind, replacing the flange would be the least of the expense. Probably a lot less than a divorce attorney LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks