Changing Shower/Tub Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumb Dumb

Reaction score
My house was built in 1975 and has a one piece tub/shower surround(fiberglass, I think). The tub stretches wall to wall across the back of the bathroom. The current faucet is a washer type, and leaks quite often. I have changed the faucet stems, washers and seats, but within a few months it starts leaking again. What I would like to do is change the faucet to a washerless type. The problem is getting to the faucet. The head of the tub abutts the kitchen, and I would have to take out the kitchen cabinets to cut through from there. Does anyone know of a way I can cut through the fiberglass, replace the faucet, and then repair the fiberglass? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm at my wits end. :p

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. An overhaul on a faucet stem should not leak within " a few months" if you do it right. Use just a dab of dope or teflon tape on seat thread. Get monel seats. Use blue or red washers, rather than black.

2. Having said all that, if this is a 2 or 3 handle Price Pfister, most models you can remove the seats and leave them out. Then, replace the entire stem with ceramic disc versions. You should get a "remodel kit" which has stems and the proper trim pieces to fit.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They do make a large cover plate for doing that conversion. They allow you to cut enough of the wall to do just what your wanting to do. These are used primarily in rental conversions and are not good looking in my opinion.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
faucet

I see three images, Price Pfister, Sayco, and Sterling.
Probably wrong.
Like the man says, get a name and those parts should be available to you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks