(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: dug well, hand pump, old pipes...

Default dug well, hand pump, old pipes...

We were without power for 5 days recently. So I've become more interested in getting easy access to the water in the old dug well on our property. It's a pretty well, dates back to the 1800s, neatly lined with stone all the way down the shaft which is about 2 feet wide. It's about 30 ft deep plus a 3 ft round stone top around it, above ground. The water level is between 22 and 28 ft down from where I could put a pump. A while ago I bought a closed cylinder shallow well pump thinking I'd put it on top of this well.

I noticed though that there is a pipe inside the well that comes up and then turns into the ground toward the house. And there is a pipe sticking out of the wall of the basement of the house which would about correspond to the one I saw in the well. The house is built into a hill, and it used to be the site of an old New England barn, so the basement walls are thick fieldstone. Later a man lived in what is now the basement, during the 1950s and 60s. So that pipe could date from a very long time ago, or 50 years ago. It's quite heavy duty with a 2" opening, and a couple of turns where it comes out of the wall.

So now I'm just wondering if my shallow well pump will work or not to suck water 22-28 ft up (i gather probably not very well) and if I should try and connect it via the pipe that comes into the basement, or if that'll be way too much hassle. It would of course be nice to have a backup water system right there in the house instead of 100 ft away up the hill.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

My guess, from your description is that the actual elevation difference would be less than 22 - 28 feet and that there was a pitcher pump there at one time.