shower faucet slowing the water flow (w video)

Users who are viewing this thread

Eiddie

Reaction score
HI

Why is my shower faucet slowing the flow of the water after a few seconds?

I took a little 5 second video to show you what I mean - watch how it squeezes back in on it's own. Almost seems like it was designed to do that, but I can't imagine they would design the handle to actually give the customer a worse flow and crappy shower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnotjSKFy1c

What can be done?thanks!

[video=youtube;cnotjSKFy1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnotjSKFy1c[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of the new Moen faucets will do that until they get a little dirty.
I haven't installed one like that in twenty years. The new ones are all pressure balanced. Is it a new "repair" meaning new cartridge replacement?
Do you you find an old non-code faucet at a big box store?

Eiddie

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the reply, so what you're saying is that this will eventually go away after some use? I had a new moen kit (shower head, faucet, handles, trim ect) that I wanted to have put in, but the plumber who helped me said that would cost a bunch and require a lot of time opening the wall and he said he had a trim for that model in the van so all I'd need to do was put on a new handle. I'm not sure if he changed the cartridge. I can go back and look at the receipt, how much would a new cartridge cost roughly? The handle I got locally at the hardware store. Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sure he installed a new cartridge. Which gives me a warm feeling for him. You now have a "new" faucet, which will after a few days work the way it should.

If and when you want to open the wall a bit, then you can install one of the new pressure balanced faucets.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It also sounds like he put some silicon plumber's grease on it (which is good). You could wipe a little off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks