(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Diverter spout leaks when water is off

Default Diverter spout leaks when water is off

I just finished renovating my bathroom and I used a Moen Posi-temp shower faucet.
    http://www.moen.com/bayhill/chrome-p...UMER%3A82244HH

Everything works fine but I noticed the diverter tub spout drips very small amount of water every 3-4hrs with the water off. I haven't even used the shower yet.

Can someone explain why??

Thanks,
    Anthony

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Your valve is leaking...now, it is possible to get a few drips after use for awhile, but that should stop fairly quickly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yes I figure that, but it seems weird that it's not a continuous leak. Do I need to get a new cartridge for a new faucet that I have yet to use? I would like to know if this is a common problem with these fixtures? This really irritates me.

Leaks can be caused by failing to flush the lines before inserting the cartridge (which can trap stuff under the seals and scratch things), overheating things if you soldered it, a bad cartridge, or scores or scratches in the valve body. It's also possible to get a porous casting, but not too common. Call Moen and talk to their tech support - they'll advise and send you the part(s) you'd need to resolve the problem.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks!!

There was no soldering as the faucet only takes threaded fitting. I'll contact Moen and see what they say.

I have a related post that I put up recently regarding this Posi-Temp cartridge (MOEN 1222B). I had a bathroom remodel in March 2011, and I am about to install the 4th Posi-Temp cartridge since then, all because the tub spout leaks after the water is off. While what Jim says above is true (and he replied to my posted thread as well), I am starting to believe that the 1222 is not that great. It is true that Moen will send you a new cartridge (they've done this for me a few times), but this past go around they told me they had a redesigned cartridge. This does not appear to be true--the one they sent is a 1222, and it came without any identifying part number, and no plumber's grease. You will want to get some silicone based plumbers grease before you install the cartridge. And good luck--I know how frustrating this is--my first cartridge was leaking even before the bathroom remodel was done.

A cartridge leak will NOT stop by itself. You do NOT need to "use the shower" for some water to get into its riser pipe, it will just NOT be enough to dribble out of the shower head.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Well, to be more correct...the spout isn't leaking - it is essentially an open pipe; the valve is leaking and it just happens to be coming out of the spout. Now, why the valve is leaking is the big issue. It could be the valve body has a defect, or the cartridge is bad, or not installed properly.
    Jim DeBruycker

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After a shower is used, it takes 35-40 minutes to finally stop dripping.
    If the shower has "never" been turned on, then there should be no dripping. But once you use the shower again, the clock restarts.

I did contact Moen, they sent me a new cartridge. I replaced the factory installed cartridge with the new replacement. No more leaks, the original one was defective.