Two water well motors in a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles on Today at 07:49 PM
We have a one year old water well for watering our 12 zone yard. Just a month ago it stopped working so we replaced the submersible 1 hp Wellsub pump, pressure tank and pressure switch. I worked for about two weeks and now the submersible pump motor is burned up? The tank pressure is set at 38 psi and the pressure switch is a 40/60 the well is 70 ft deep with the pump at 60 ft. Any ideas on what is causing the motors to go out? .

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd be checking the starting and running amps to the motor. Sounds like a wire issue to me

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You don't give enough detail about the GPM of the pump and the size of the tank or what the 12 zones draw so we cannot deduce how much the pump cycles. Excessive cycling could have killed it in a year but unlikely to kill it in less than a month. If the irrigation system is not well matched to the pump GPM, you might consider a Cycle Stop Valve to stop excess cycling.

Was there any lightning around the time it died? Is it a metal or PVC casing? If metal, is it bonded to the service ground? A home with inadequate grounding can be more prone to pump motor damage.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Check the power source and electricity to the motor. You could have low voltage which would burn the motor out very quickly, and could also be the reason the first motor failed. You might have replaced the motor, and the other things, without finding and curing the cause of the original failure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Has the well run dry at any time? Does it recover? RUnning a pump dry is not generally good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks