Leak with pressure assist toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

MrTelco1948

Reaction score
I replaced a regular toilet with a pressure assist unit in my step-mother's apt. a couple of years ago. She is 95 and tends to use waaaaay too much toilet paper. It flushes great and there has never been a clog or stoppage. There HAS been water seepage under the toilet, however. I have replaced the wax ring twice, once with the thicker ring, but the seepage continued. I recently pulled the toilet again, and sure enough, the wax ring had blown out enough to cause a leak. This time, I noticed that the flange was too low (don't know why I didn't focus on that sooner). The top of the flange was even with the finished floor instead of the bottom of the flange being even with the finished floor. I installed a 1/4 in spacer to get the flange at the right height. That was yesterday. Time will tell if this fixes the problem. Any thoughts on this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That should help. ANother thing that would probably work (depending on the state of the pipe - it must be clean and smooth) would be one of the waxless seals like the Fluidmaster. This has a funnel and seals with an o-ring. There's a thread here also on a (new to me) waxless seal that is shaped like a wax ring, but isn't made of wax that would probably work.

At 95, the loud sound a pressure assist makes may be masked by the typical degradation of an elder's hearing...:)

MrTelco1948

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. If it leaks again, I'll try the waxless seal or the new product you mentioned that looks like a wax ring. By the way, she is very hard of hearing so I guess it doesn't bother her!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks