Need toilet for very small bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Alicia

Reaction score
I'm looking for a toilet to fit in a very small space. The current toilet tank sits 2" from the wall. The rough in measures 12 7/16". Since this is such a small room, every inch counts! I would like to have the toilet sit closer to the wall so it's not sticking out so far in the room. I understand from this forum that some Toto toilets have a unifit adapter. So maybe I could get one of those and a 14" unifit and that would move the toilet closer to the wall? But the problem with that solution is the the water supply is only 3 1/2" from center.
Is there any way to tell if a Toto with a 12" rough in will sit closer to the wall than the current Crane model? I'm wondering if the old Crane was the wrong size? Is it possible the previous owners put in toilet with a 10" rough in and that's why it sits out 2" from the wall?
By the way, lack of bowl wash is the main reason I'm looking to replace the Crane. It gets pretty gross! It's so bad that the new toilet is going to be my boyfriend's Christmas present this year!
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toilet rough-in space is often misunderstood. Due to the floor joist spacing, it is not always possible for the rough-in to be made to an exact measure. Even though yours measures 12-7/16", it is still technically a 12". I have 2 Toto 12" toilets that set on rough-ins that are exactly 12", and they both have a couple of inches behind the tank. Toilets are classified as being a 10", 12", or 14", but few, if any, measure exactly to their rated size. They usually actually require slightly less than their rated size such as my Totos. What I am getting at is you need to us a 12" rough-in toilet. The Toto Unifit will not help in this situation, although a 12" Unifit would work with one of the toilets designed to use that adapter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Totos that use the Unifit adapter, generally have a nominal 3/4" behind them when the rough-in is perfect. So, with 7/16 more on the rough, 7/16+3/4 would have the back 1-3/16" from the wall, better than what you have by nearly 3/4". To check the tank/wall clearance, you need to study the spec sheets of those whose style you like.

Alicia

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
My main objective is not to have the toilet stick out any more than it does already! As it sits right now, the front edge of the toilet is 29" from the back wall and it's a round front toilet! We only have 20 inches between the front and the wall and we have to walk past it to get into the shower. If that space gets any smaller, we'll have to step on the toilet seat to get into the shower!
I want to change to a Toto elongated but I'm not sure how it will fit. I guess I need to find a local plumber that carries Toto's and have him check out the space to see what will work best.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From your description, it does appear to be a 10" toilet. A 12" toilet on a 12" roughed in pipe will project approximately 27" from the wall. An elongated bowl would be 29".

Softee

Reaction score
The Duravit Happy D, the Toto Aquia and Toto Nexus are nice compact modern looking toilets. I pondered over these for weeks during a renovation on a very small bathroom. Due to limited space we didn't have that many options. we settled on the Nexus and i can't get over how great it is. We have a Kohler and American Standard in our other bathrooms which don't even come close to the Toto's flush performance, quick refill and cleanliness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks