Pressure Tank Problem/Question

Users who are viewing this thread

mr2le

Reaction score
I have a WellMate fiberglass pressure tank, about a 20 gallon version. My pump is in a short cycle as if the tank is water logged. I replaced the air valve stem. NO water is being discharged from the air valve. I turned pump breaker off, attached hose to boiler valve and opened. I then adjusted air to 28 psi for the 30 psi pressure valve start pressure. The pump cycles with less than a gallon draw down. My main question is it possible to have a bad bladder with no water being discharged thru air valve located at top center of tank. The pressure switch is a 30-50 in good order, no water leaks and pressure holds . It acts like a water logged tank but nothing indicating it, Thanks for any help, RT

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you drain the tank of all water and adjust the tank's air pressure and that air pressure is maintained without any loss over time, you can be quite certain that the tank is not leaking.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Water doesn't have to come out the Schrader valve for the tank to be bad. Like CC said, If you don't lose any air pressure over time, the bladder is probably good. But if you gain air pressure over time, the bladder is bad. Also those type tanks won't work properly laying on their side, it would act as you are saying.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
2 PSI difference may be cutting it too fine, especially if your air guage reads differently than your water guage. Did you calibrate your guages to confirm they are both reading the same?

Picking up the tank and weighing it will confirm whether or not is it waterlogged.

mr2le

Reaction score
I am satisfied the tank is bad but some of it defies logic or at least my logic. I was assuming the only way the bladder could be bad is if it were ruptured, but maybe not. I dont understand how it can increase in pressure, it would have to draw air in. Previous experiences with pressure tanks have been simple,water comes out the Schrader and replace the tank. Thanks for your input. I will replace it . RT

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Bladder ruptures. Water gets on air side of bladder, pump increases pressure in air chamber. Ruptured bladder parts seal off exit hole and/or Schrader valve, so no water can come out one or the other, or both, exit pipe and Schrader. L is right, see how much your tank weighs. It’s the only way to know for sure when water can’t come out either hole. Measuring the draw down is what counts, no matter the problem.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are certain benefits to a CSV and the cost to replace the bladder in the WellMate versus forklifting it for a complete Pside-kick makes sense. The CSV will extend the life of the bladder since I think a 20 gallon tank is probably undersized as it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks