broken wax ring

Users who are viewing this thread

BostonGal

Reaction score
My contractor and his plumber say that it is less hassle to buy some repair item to add onto the broken wax ring where the old toilet was. Will this be sufficient? I do not want more water intrusion at any cost in this bathroom, as we just had it remediated.

He also said I will need a 10 inch rough in on the new toilet. Is there a better option in this case?
Bostongal

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi, I am a Massachusettes guy. I was raised in Littleton and lived in the Boston area most of my life im in Ohio now. I think you mean the flange that holds the wax ring is broken as you don't buy items to add to the wax ring. Let us know what it is that they are going to do and then we can advise better. Do you know if your drain pipe/ flange is plastic or steel?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

We would have to see the actual job to determine whether a 10" toilet was needed, or if there were some way to avoid using one. Normally that decision is made before the remodeling is done, not afterwards. What is broken? Wax rings are replaced when a toilet is placed into position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks