(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Expert Plumbers: What do do here?

Default Expert Plumbers: What do do here?

Howdy,

I have been reading this forum for a few days. I've finally decided to take a picture of my current situation.

I decided to replace my toilet flange and when doing so, realized the pipe connecting to the sewer (closet bend?) was bent and out of whack and wouldn't allow a toilet flange to sit; hence the reason for me to change. Now I don't want to mess this up and also don't want to hire a plumber (This doesn't look too bad of a fix, but would rather handle it myself cause there's another toilet with the same problem). After tacking out all of metal, this is what I was left with. The are is about 3-4 inches to the sewer pipe (is that the correct verbiage).

Can I just put a flange on top of that and bolt it to the concrete? Or can I buy a pipe, cut to correct size, insert in flange, and bolt to cement floor?

Please do help! :

Name:  IMG00636-20110906-0133.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  55.7 KB

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Your picture is out of focus, you may have to put the camera into macro mode (or close-up) to get that close. It's not obvious where the pipe ends or what material it is made of. Without that info, can't say. To be proper and not have leaks or smells, there has to be a continuous, unbroken, sealed connection between the toilet and the sewer. The flange must attach to the pipe and then be anchored to the floor. A better picture and some description of what's actually there is required.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

You need to make a proper connection to the sewer pipe. Which means braking up more of the floor, unless there is a hub there which a new piece of pipe can be inserted into and caulked in (caulked = lead and oakum).

Alright. Thank you for replies. Basically all that is concrete before getting to that pipe. I'll try and take better pictures.