Outdoor Water Supply from Lake

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave1985

Reaction score
So I'm looking at buying a house in New Hampshire where the winters get cold. They use water that comes from the lake which is about 30-40 feet away.
they had a buried water line that is crushed and they replaced it with another water line that is on the surface, so obviously it freezes in the winter.
Assuming I can not fix the underground pipe and assuming I do not have enough land to drill a well, what are my options for the pipe above ground?
Insulate it? Use heat tape? Both? and then bury it a little under the ground?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In souther NH the freeze line is probably about 42" deep! Insulation does little to keep a pipe from freezing. You could use heat tape, which is an expensive solution. Is this a year round occupancy? If not, figure out how to winterize. If it is year-round, get the pipe installed at the proper depth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks