remodeling to accommodate elderly with cane/ low vision

Users who are viewing this thread

BostonGal

Reaction score
We are expanding our 5 x 11 bathroom outward by 3 ft. after the existing stack pipe a third of the way in, which will be able to accommodate a wheelchair if needed for the future.

My father in law has low vision, which makes him more susceptible to falling, and in now walking with a cane. Should I make the countertop 32" for wheelchair height or will that be a problem for him when he visits?

Also, which would be better - a 48 x 34 transfer shower to allow for a storage drawer at the sink plus a modest linen cabinet, or a roll in shower of 60 inches, which would eliminate the storage? I am also planning to have a 1/2 inch threshold and place the shower on top of the concrete slab.

Any suggestions?

Bostongal

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as the lav, are you planning to have it open underneath for wheelchair access? If so, height is an issue. I believe there are some websites which can help you with this.

On the shower, I have experience on this with my mother, who lived with us for 6 years before she passed away. I believe the drive-in shower is much easier for the caregiver and the person. Transfer showers can be awkward, especially if the person is severley unable to help themselves. As long as you can get them from the bed into what is called an assistant's chair ( a chair with small wheels, must be pushed) it is very easy to roll that in, and the chair is OK in the water.

As far as the floor, get a contractor who really knows what he is doing in the waterproofing arena. For some good ideas, go to www.johnbridge.com

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since the shower must be sloped to the drain (1/4"/foot), if you want it to roll in, the shower floor itself must start out below the room (unless you build up the floor). A typical shower floor is around 2-3" thick at the edges and consists of three layers (not counting the tile): a mortar preslope, a liner, a final slope. The tile is put on top of the final slope. If you don't do it this way, you'll have problems. A simpler way, and maybe best for this type of shower is to use Kerdi from www.schluter.com . This is a waterproofing membrane that can be extended out into the rest of the bathroom, or used in conjunction with another of their products called Ditra. Using these products, your full bathroom can be waterproofed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks