drained hot water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

William Dyda

Reaction score
I just drained my hot water tank,after conpletion I have resin from the water softner coming from the laundry tub cold water fauset ,located beside the softner. Help needed. Thanks, Bill

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of softener is in question?
If there is resin going down the drain there are a number of things that could be going on, but the brand and type of softener will help in what could or could not be the reason for resin in the drain line.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If there is resin going down the drain...
The OP said resin is in the cold supply, not the drain.

Depending on how the softener is plumbed in relation to the water heater, draining the heater could have reversed the flow through the softener and if it doesn't have a top basket, it could have carried resin into the cold supply line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I can think of NOTHING that draining the water heater could have done to cause the softener problem, EXCEPT if the high flow to fill the heater broke the internal distributor in the softener. In any case, the softener MUST be put into bypass mode to avoid having ALL the faucets and toilets plugged with the resin. Then replace the softener or have it repaired.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks