Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

davidgrove

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
I would like to install a toilet in a location that would have a 4' horizontal run from the closet flange to a vent. Is this acceptable, codewise?

Thank you.

DG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As long as the toilet is vented, it's okay to use either a 3" or 4" line.

Vents in most locals can be 2" if it's jus the one fixture.
The max length would be six feet from the flange to the vent.

Last edited:

davidgrove

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
"As long as the toilet is vented,"

That's what I'm wondering about. A 2" vent line would tie into the horizontal-running waste line 4 feet away from the toilet. The toilet would sit on the closet flange, which makes a 90, then runs horizontally 4 feet, at which point a 2" vent line ties in from the top of the waste line, and then the waste line continues another 8 feet, or so, where it does another 90 and goes vertically down and out.

Is venting the toilet 4 feet from the closet flange OK?

DG

bigrebnc1861

Plumber
Reaction score
to answer your question I would say you can. Because the maximum distance allowed from trap is 6 feet on two inch pipe, and you can have 3 fixtures on two inch pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks