(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI cables

Default HDMI cables

Being a bit of a luddite, I have not been in this arena before. But thanks to some impressive labor day sales, I replave TWO televisions today, you know...weighs 120 pounds, 4 feet deep...etc. With a slick 46 from Sony and a 42 from Samsung. Both LED-LCD types. Pictures are incredible.

Anyway, on one, I feed my cable straight to a tuner-equipped DVD player, so decided to use an HDMI cable to go from there to the TV. Sp tje question: is there really a significant difference between an HDMI cable that is $19 and one that is $89 ?? yikes!!!!!
    I am talking 6' length in both cases.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would sincerely doubt it. It's a digital signal. It's either a 1 or a 0 or you don't even get a picture.
    But I can imagine the extra profit the store gets from it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Being a bit of a luddite, I have not been in this arena before. But thanks to some impressive labor day sales, I replave TWO televisions today, you know...weighs 120 pounds, 4 feet deep...etc. With a slick 46 from Sony and a 42 from Samsung. Both LED-LCD types. Pictures are incredible.

Anyway, on one, I feed my cable straight to a tuner-equipped DVD player, so decided to use an HDMI cable to go from there to the TV. Sp tje question: is there really a significant difference between an HDMI cable that is $19 and one that is $89 ?? yikes!!!!!
    I am talking 6' length in both cases.
    Jimbo, I have bought 6 buck 6ft HDMI cables on the Internet, and a 70 dollar monster cable HDMI cable. I have a 40 inch Sony Bravia, ane when I first installed it 3 years ago, I tried both cables and could see absolutely no diffence in picture quality, The expensive cable was better looking itself, and seemed physically sturdier, but picture quality? these eyes could see no difference and I have fiber optic service to the house from Verizon FIOS. I returned the expensive cable for a refund. And as Terry said, its all about profit!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Thanks for the info! I bought the $19 job, and have since found as you mentioned that I could have got it on Amazon for half! But I needed it NOW!!!

Outsmarted myself a little by getting an ultra slim wall mount, only to find that all the connections on the TV point straight out, not down which logically they should. Had to go back and install a 1" spacer on the mount arms so the HDMO connector would fit!

Hello all,

A lot of the cost for the cables is the quality of the Connectors.

Gold Plating cost more, but for indoor use the tinned ones work as well.

Picture quality is no difference as long as the connections are good.

Save your money, and have a spare on hand, for testing.

Have a Great Holiday.

DonL
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Hi Don. I tried sending you a PM here the other day, but it said your inbox runneth over.

Blog Entries

On my HD I have the component cables that Comcast installed and HDMI for the Roku HD box.
    The other day my engineering student was dusting and he knocked off one of the component cables. He noticed that the color was off, but instead of checking the cables, he started adjusting the settings on the TV. There wasn't any red.
    I was able to show him how to check the cables on the TV to make sure they were all pushed in.
    They don't teach that at Wentworth.

If that is the Wentworth Institute in Boston, that was right in my old stomping grounds....I worked for 4 summers in HS/College days at my father's facory in Brighton, just a couple of miles up the road. Used to play in a summer lacrosse league at the MIT fields, in the evenings after work.

Blog Entries

Yes, Boston. He went there last year, and this year the first quarter will a local school and then back Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston. I've been trying to improve his mind this Summer.
    Last edited by Terry; 09-04-2011 at 01:20 PM.

I purchase all of my cables from monoprice.com.

been in electronics all of my life and overpriced cables are a SCAM -- pure and simple. HOWEVER -- be careful with HDMI, I've seen some real crap.

go with a reputable dealer like MCM electronics for cables -- an AV installers favorite and great pricing.

if you buy monster cables rather than lamp cord -- call yourself an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by mar3232 View Post
    been in electronics all of my life and overpriced cables are a SCAM -- pure and simple. HOWEVER -- be careful with HDMI, I've seen some real crap.

go with a reputable dealer like MCM electronics for cables -- an AV installers favorite and great pricing.

if you buy monster cables rather than lamp cord -- call yourself an idiot.
    Thing is, places like Best Buy and others like to sell expensive cables when a customer buys a new fancy HD TV and the inexperienced customer is advised to avoid any inexpensive cable. There are decent quality inexpensive HDMI cables to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Thing is, places like Best Buy and others like to sell expensive cables when a customer buys a new fancy HD TV and the inexperienced customer is advised to avoid any inexpensive cable. There are decent quality inexpensive HDMI cables to buy.
    That is true.

The salesman and company make more money on the Accessories then on the HDTV that you don't really need...

I agree that www.mcmelectronics.com is a good place for your electron needs.

You can run HDMI over Ethernet cable and save big money on long wire runs.

I think that setting in front of a TV is a waste of time.

But I do like the Electronics.

DonL
    Last edited by DonL; 11-01-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Op Error as normal...
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    needs.

I think that setting in front of a TV is a waste of time.

But I do like the Electronics.

DonL
    I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do enjoy watching some shows, like the Closer, Rizzoli and Isles, Psych, House. Mystery,comedy stuff.
    Actually, the more I think about it, I watch more TV than I should, but I enjoy it. Takes my mind off of every day problems, which do crop up. Healthier (and cheaper) than drinking myself to oblivion.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Jimbo, I have bought 6 buck 6ft HDMI cables on the Internet, and a 70 dollar monster cable HDMI cable. I have a 40 inch Sony Bravia, ane when I first installed it 3 years ago, I tried both cables and could see absolutely no diffence in picture quality, The expensive cable was better looking itself, and seemed physically sturdier, but picture quality? these eyes could see no difference and I have fiber optic service to the house from Verizon FIOS. I returned the expensive cable for a refund. And as Terry said, its all about profit!
    I heard it was the same with toilets.