Relation between HP and Ton refrigeration??

Users who are viewing this thread

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
Hello...

Is there any conversion for HP(Horse power) to TON Refrigeration..

I came to know that 1 Hp = 0.81 TR = 746Kw,

But I need HP of motor here.. the above related Hp I suppose is for Compressor refrigerant i.e R22

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
1 ton = 12,000 BTU/hr

1 HP = 2544 BTU/hr

1 ton = 4.716 HP

However, the actual work that the compressor does depends on the design (EER, SEER, etc.). 1 ton means that it moves 12,000 BTU/hr of heat, but the amount of electrical energy required to move that amount of heat totally depends on the design of the system.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A btu is the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of one pound of water, one degree. From the "old days" air condioning was also measured in tons, meaning the cooling power of one ton of ice over a 24 hour period. Somehow, it came to pass that one ton of air conditioning equated to 12,000 BTU. This is in the Book of Algore, or something like that.
I don't think you could make a direct correlation of tons of A/C to HP of a motor, because that ignores the efficiency of the system. In the 8 SEER world, a 2 ton unit may well have used a 25,000 or 26,000 BTU compressor. In the 10 SEER world, that became more like 22,000, and in the 13 SEER world, it is not unusual to find a 2 ton unit using a 18,000 BTU compressor.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
The "ton" unir comes from this:

latent heat of fusion for ice at 32F (energy it takes to make it a solid) = 144 BTU/lb

1 ton = 2000 lb

2000 * 144 BTU/lb = 288,000 BTU to make 1 ton of ice

To create 1 ton of ice a day:

288,000 BTU / 24hr = 12,000 BTU/hr

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks