Water Heater Gas Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Sjm133

Reaction score
I'm back again with another gas WH replacement question regarding the gas connection to my (potentially) new WH. I've seen several pictures, videos, etc of making the connection from incoming gas line to the WH gas valve and noticed variations in how they're piped. The attachment shows the most common I've seen, top image, and also what my current connection looks like, bottom photo.

My questions are basically;

1) what's the difference
2) is one preferred/recommended over the other

My potentially new WH will be 40,000 BTU and my current is 32,000 BTU so I'm sure I'll need to make some sort of change but was curious as to the piping differences first.

Thanks in advance.

WHGasLine.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on local code.
In the West, they like to see flexible connectors. We have earthquakes.

Some places that don't acknowledge the danger prefer solid connections. I would talk to your local plumbing inspector about it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry says it all. Local codes prevail. FWIW, I have 7 gas appliances in my home and all of them are connected with flex tubing. My water heater water lines are also flex tubes and all of my water using fixtures have flex connections.

Sjm133

Reaction score
I guess the basis of my question was regarding that round doo-hickey in the line leading into the valve in the photo. What is it? The top image shows an option of flex line or solid line with the the drip leg and no round doo-hickey.

Sjm133

Reaction score
It's Natural Gas. That little silver plate on the top reads "Max Pressure 10 PSIG". Also, those yellow bands, one around vertical line and one on top of the doo-hickey, both read "2 PSIG GAS".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So yes, it's a reducer. That has to stay there.
You can hard pipe from it, or use a flex. Since you already have soft copper coming in, that's like a flex line anyway.

Sjm133

Reaction score
Excellent. Glad I asked. So as I mentioned at first, I'm looking at replacing my 32k BTU with a 40k. Will this affect any of this piping?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks