Sewer pipe through basement wall seal question

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyGater

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old house. Poured concrete foundation. In the basement there is a very large black pipe that goes through the foundation wall and I assume, out to the sewer hook up in the street. I have water leaking into the basement around that large black pipe. There was what looked like black roof tar around the pipe on the inside of the basement wall. I assume this was used as the sealant. I have no idea what is on the outside because it is about three feet under the ground. I was able to scape away the roof tar around the bottom portion of the pipe. It was soft there and kind of spongy. under this area was very damp. I then filled the area that I scraped off with hydraulic cement. Long story made short, it still leaks. How is the giant black sewer pipe basement wall penetration normally sealed? What is the correct way to do this? Do I have to dig up the outside dirt and see if it is sealed up in any way out there? Please help, I am tired of mopping up the water every time it rains.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The very best sealant is Water Plug. This is a hydralic cement that comes as powder in cans. You won't need much, so the smallest can you can find, probably a quart size. Clean all of the black sealant off and any loose cement away. Follow the directions on the can, but you mix only a small amount at a time as this sets up very quickly. It has a lot of lime in it, so wear rubber gloves to avoid chemical burns. Use a stiff putty knife and force as much of the mixture into the the space around the pipe as possible. You wet the area first. Water Plug will plug cracks where water is running. You must work fast. Do not try to dampen and reuse a previous batch. It would be best if you could chip some concrete out, but obviously use care not to damage the pipe. You do not have to force Water Plug clear through the wall, but get as much crammed in as possible. If the pipe can be accessed from the outside, you could do the same process on both sides which would give you extra insurance, but it should work just fine on just one side.

WallyGater

Reaction score
Thanks Gary

That's pretty much what I did. I used the stuff that you described, and yes, after you mix it up it does set up very fast. They say you have 5 min. on the can but in reality It is hard as a rock in 3 min. You are correct, you really have to work fast. Maybe I did not get enough of the stuff on there. I am going to attempt to put a second coat on. Thanks for the reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks