Open Source Water source Heat Pump Q&As

Users who are viewing this thread

mike04

Reaction score
I have installed a 5 T water source heat pump in my 2000 foot home and have been using an open source water supply from a seep spring which is about 300 feet from the house and is (the spring) about the size of a six car garage and which flows into a two acre lake. The flow is about 18-30 gpm and maintains a temp of about 55f year round in the spring area. The spring area is only about 18 inches deep.
I am currently using a water flow rate of 12gpm with a water temperature drop out of the heat pump of 5-8 degrees f. from a 1 1/4 inch feed line. The 12gpm rate is used because the incoming winter water temp is only about 45 degrees at the heat pump.

I would like to change to a closed loop system in the seep spring.

My questions are:
How many loops constructed in the seep spring of what type & size pipe and how long should the loops be?
Assume the exhaust water would be returned to the seep spring loops through a pipe placed in the lake.

It took me a year to develop a back flushing filter at the pump in the shallow spring (algae in summer and leaves in winter). I will share that design if anyone is interested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks