Horay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If there is a slight bowl wobble, it's not good.

If it took him three tries, he may have trouble either with the floor, the base, or the wax horn.

I first drop the toilet on the flange without wax, to see how the floor lays.

this will tell me if shimming is needed.
If I shim, I do it from the back, pinning the front of the bowl down.

Then I can pull the toilet back up, and drop the wax on the floor.
If the wax prevents the toilet from dropping down to the floor when pushed, then it may be that a horn is being used and preventing the two meeting.

Caulk around the base helps to stick it to the floor too.

drake_angle2.jpg

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Oh, the first time he put the wax ring on he forgot to take out the rag. So he pulled it back up. Then the second time something about the ring slipping halfway over the hole and water was running out from the base. The third time, well, this is the third time.

Cookie.......... sounds like me.... :eek: did I come over and do that for you??? :confused:
jk, Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are talking the shower drain, should there be water in there when you look down the drain, then yes. There should be water "there".

This is what prevents sewergas from entering the home.

There should be no water under the shower base though. That would be a leak of some kind.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless he shims the toilet so that it does not rock, doesn't matter how many rings he puts down, it will leak (eventually). The wax is not resilient - once you mash it down, it stays there. WHen the toilet rocks, you break that seal and it WILL LEAK! Maybe not much, but some. There are several manufacturers of waxless rings that usually can handle a little movement, but they shouldn't have to, either - make sure he shims it so it doesn't rock.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
WOW that test is quite the scam. They get you to enjoy taking the test then tempt you with other tests that you need to buy with virtual money that you purchase with real money. Huh... that is what I call slick.

Daryl

Handyman
Reaction score
My first question is : Who is your plumber?! Leaks in all of these places shouldn't be occuring! As far as your shower stall leak..... do you have ceramic tile on the walls? How about a glass shower enclosure? If you have water under the shower pan (on the subfloor ) this is usually caused by defective caulking or bad grout. The water travels down the wall, through the bad grout to the front edge of the shower and in behind the shower door frame. it can then travel behind the wall to the floor. Look for bad caulking and deteriorated floor at the outside corners of the stall. Sometimes you can push on the fllor and it will feel soft. Not good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks