(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Freedom: hauling liquor

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    I agree that kids should be protected somehow from fireworks. Maybe having child protective services take them away from their abusive parents?
    Does that sound reasonable Ian? maybe they can be sent to England to be properly raised there.
    Forty plus years ago my father bought me a .22 caliber rifle for my eighth birthday present. And taught me to use it safely. Please do not make me go to England as I may not be able to drive a pickup while there and would come back with an ugly shirt But if I did that today with my eight year old I probably would be prosecuted.

Ian, you just want to ban most anything! I agree their are dangers in fireworks, but also, is walking with a fork in your hand. Using commonsense goes a long long way. Your moonshine could cause kids to drive drunk when they get their hands on it.

What do you do for fun? their is nothing left.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTW View Post
    Forty plus years ago my father bought me a .22 caliber rifle for my eighth birthday present. And taught me to use it safely. Please do not make me go to England as I may not be able to drive a pickup while there and would come back with an ugly shirt But if I did that today with my eight year old I probably would be prosecuted.
    Worse than an ugly shirt, you might come back with an ugly girl. No, wait there are some decent looking birds over there.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Quote Originally Posted by LOTW View Post
    Terry/Bob L: So why should Missourians and Wisconsites be free to blow off fingers and make a mess while others are denied the same right? Ian is advocating for a national consensus on this and it pains me to say that I might agree.

Ian, instead of a semi I suggest starting with a load of booze on your F-150. And make sure that you use copper pipes to make it, not lead. I wonder if anyone has ever tried pex and sharkbites for this application?
    Pex Would ad that bisphenolA taste, and not do a good job of heat transfer. I think Ian should do it the old fashioned way with a car radiator. In the mid 70's, I actually had an experimental distillers licence from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. BATF. could not remember the acronym til I wrote it out. Got all enthused and built a 6GPH Ethanol still, but then it was revealed that the shortage of petroleum was a farce.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was watching a show about making moonshine. They used copper fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I was watching a show about making moonshine. They used copper fittings.
    with lead free solder I hope, or brazed fittings? I have a 5 lb spool of food grade solder that can solder stainless steel made by Eutectic. Fantastic stuff. I hope I don't use it all up. Well, I've had it for 30 years and still have more than 1/2 left, so I should be OK.

I can't wait untill I I get my bathroom reno done and put the fixtures in. I've gained a wealth of info from this site on plumbing issues, especially venting, and applied them to my work. I hope when I flush my new Toto toilet, drain my new tub and Toto pedestal lav the house does not implode and my cespool rise out of the ground. So I will just gain pleasure here from Ian's corner and help out some electrical issues where I can.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Great to know I can brew my own beer and wine here for own consumption.

What, then, is the Great American reasoning for not allowing me to brew my own hard liquor?

As for fireworks, it's just a common sense issue like with guns. They should not be allowed.

You guys get all funny about DIYers installing water heaters and electrical panels and then fight for the right for people to blow themselves (and others) to bits with fireworks and guns.

That is messed up. You can't pick and choose with freedom.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're thinking too much.
    I talked to a trauma nurse the other day, she said it was real busy on the 4th.
    We know it. It's dangerous. I personally have gotten over blowing things up, but it took some time to get that out of my system.
    So yes I know we do the crazy stuff on new years and on the 4th. Frankly, it's hard to get much sleep on those days, and I do worry about the wood shakes on my home. The neighbor used to light his stuff in the front yard and aim it at my house. And yes, me and the neighbors get along great. It's only one day a year. It's nice to have a few guys near my age that I get to talk and we have some kids that are common age. I did feel bad when his son got hurt though. But sometimes you just have to let boys be boys. We take chances all the time in this life. If we don't, we have regrets. Living with regret isn't so great either. Ian, you need to get a little crazy like the rest of us. You sound like you're aging way too fast for someone your age. So this weekend, your job is to do something you don't normally do, push the boundary a bit. That still you're making is a good start. Liquid courage it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Great to know I can brew my own beer and wine here for own consumption.

What, then, is the Great American reasoning for not allowing me to brew my own hard liquor?

As for fireworks, it's just a common sense issue like with guns. They should not be allowed.

You guys get all funny about DIYers installing water heaters and electrical panels and then fight for the right for people to blow themselves (and others) to bits with fireworks and guns.

That is messed up. You can't pick and choose with freedom.
    Making hard liquor requires the distillation of Ethanol. That can be dangerous and can explode. My permit for a still required an affidavit that I would not use the alcohol for human consumption, just for fuel for vehicles.

Your last sentence is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Is it original? Google is your friend too.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

That can be dangerous and can explode.
    Like a gun.

Ban/control/restrict things that explode!

And yes it was original, but I did not notice the oxymoron until you pointed it out. Shall we make a T-shirt for the T party?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 09-02-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Like a gun.

Ban/control/restrict things that explode!

And yes it was original, but I did not notice the oxymoron until you pointed it out. Shall we make a T-shirt for the T party?
    Good idea Ian, but are you even allowed to utter the words "Tea Party"?

The more bans you got Ian, the more people are going to try to break em. That in itself becomes a dangerous thing, probably more so. Make something illegal and you get everyone's attention. I wouldn't want to live in a world where you couldn't think for yourself, where everything little thing that could be remotely dangerous would be taken away from you, why do you want so many many things controlled for you? You lose so many freedoms. Ian, you have never experienced what we have in the US, you do not realize what you would lose. No one ever does, until, whatever, it is, whether a person, or a freedom until, you do. Then, it is sometimes, and most of the time, too late. With your bans, I see, that you have nothing to compare it other than statistics, and honestly, that is like comparing apples and oranges. It won't work.

Just recently, I read where a young woman objected to removing a scarf from her head on a rollercoaster ride. You say, americans love rules. Well, one rule was started 3 years ago on rollercoaster rides that all headgear had to be removed for it could fly onto the rails and cause a disaster. This woman didn't want to remove the scarf. The rule was made for everyone to follow. Yet, this woman screamed blue bloody murder saying it was because she was of a different religion. It was dangerous for her to leave it on. Did she see it that way really?

So, should we ban roller coasters? Because people do not want to follow rules.

If you use fireworks, follow the rules, use commonsense.

Same as this woman should had thought of.

Making rules are alot better just banning this or banning that.

...and, if you cannot or will not, or don't want to follow the safety rules, then, don't do it; it doesn't matter if it is using fireworks, or riding a rollercoaster.

Banning something because of those who will not do what is appropriate is foolish.

Where does it end? Running with scissors?
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-02-2011 at 09:58 PM.

There is a rule about running with sissors. It's called "Don't run with sissors."

I alway walk slowly when I have sissors.

I went to a football game tonight, and of course everytime we scored against the Oakland Raiders we got some fireworks. Very nice.