Freedom: hauling liquor

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
England is a free country so you can fill a truck with beer in one part of the country and haul it to another, no questions asked.

Can you do the same in America?

I mean, would you be allowed to haul Coors beer from Texarkana, Texas to Georgia for your refreshment? Or would you need a "blocker" car to deflect attention away from the truck and its cargo?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
England is a free country so you can fill a truck with beer in one part of the country and haul it to another, no questions asked.

I mean, would you be allowed to haul Coors beer from Texarkana, Texas to Georgia for your refreshment? Or would you need a "blocker" car to deflect attention away from the truck and its cargo?
England's only a little spot on the map and a few hours to cross. The example you gave is bigger than England, but it involves interstate transport. Why would you want to transport a Colorado mass produced beer from TX to Ga? You can buy it in Georgia. Its all about taxes anyway, so as long as you pay the proper taxes, its OK, You're all for paying more taxes anyway, so what is the problem. there are many micto breweries anyway to buy good local beer. what're you trying to say Ian? You're normally very clear as to what you hate here.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Have you been watching Smokey and the Bandit again?

It's like Bob says, as long as the proper taxes are paid, you're okay.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's very confusing. Do you have to do that with all goods?

And do you have to pay them before or after?

I think the Bandit approach is best.

All these different State rules are silly.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

'Tis what it is, and the taxes are built into the price. beer and booze would be very cheap without the alcohol tax. But Likker is quicker. Our government at your service again. prohibition did not work, so theuy figure they'd might as wll make a buck (lots of them) on it.
Duty free prices are good, but the limits are pretty low (one or 2 bottles of booze) on a cruise ship or furrin' country. You can bring more in, but Customs agents make you pay the taxes on it. and not just here either. You can buy cigarettes at an Indian reservation here, cheap, no taxes. Any Indian reservations in England? Oh, wrong Indians.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;OH5KNcFRZLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5KNcFRZLQ[/video]

Have you been watching Smokey and the Bandit again?

It's like Bob says, as long as the proper taxes are paid, you're okay.

How appropriate Terry. I think Ian must have got inspiration for that post after watching the movie on cable during the hurricane while manning his sump pump.

Pipehacker

Reaction score

I truly hate to admit it but Ian may have a point. And not on his head. What about firecrackers? Why can I buy them in Missouri and Wisconsin but not in Iowa. The Supreme Court should recognize that all Americans have a constitutional right to make load noise with gunpowder. It is part of our heritage.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I truly hate to admit it but Ian may have a point. And not on his head. What about firecrackers? Why can I buy them in Missouri and Wisconsin but not in Iowa. The Supreme Court should recognize that all Americans have a constitutional right to make load noise with gunpowder. It is part of our heritage.

I guess some states are more concerned than others about personal injuries. Even though fireworks are illegal in NY state for personal use, there are quite a few very serious injuries every year from them. Some are from sheer stupidity, and some from defective fireworks. there are many public firework displays. Cone Domes may be hidden by a hat. Anyway, YEE HA! watch out for gone astray helicopter fireworks.

Cookie

Reaction score
It is all about taxes. There is a little place in Tuscaloosa, Al, off of McFarland Blvd, which is called Archibalds. It is rib joint, the best darn place in the USA. They smoke their meats, only pork, and make their own sauce. It is terrific! I offered them mucho bucks for their sauce recipe one day, (a mom & pop place) with the promise I would never divulge it or sell it but, they wouldn't go for it. When we moved, I wanted to get my husband a gallon jug of it, and called them and due to state taxes they couldn't send it.

All about taxes. And, you want more of them?

I just want Archibald's sauce. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One of the neighbors across the street from me lost the ends of his fingertips this year on the 4th.
He was in the hospital about three weeks.

But they do make a nice loud bang. The 4th of July around here gets pretty smoky.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One of the neighbors across the street from me lost the ends of his fingertips this year on the 4th.
He was in the hospital about three weeks.

But they do make a nice loud bang. The 4th of July around here gets pretty smoky.
Not to say messy. fireworks (Roman Candles and other rockets) leave there litter all over the street, even from around the block. I pick it all up in front of my house, but the guys who do it, leave all the junk even in front of their own houses in the streets. This past 4th, a couple of guys lost their hands. This link is from last year, and made CNN.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-04/...y-metal-or-glass-containers-lighting?_s=PM:US

Every year, lots of folks from year drive down to North Carolina to bring back tons of fireworks; some get caught, but most do not. I enjoy watching public fireworks displays, but one time one of my neighbor's private fireworks party had his cheap crap go astray. since then, I shy away from private fireworks. Once burned, twice shy. No, it did not make me stronger like the saying goes.;)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I think fireworks should be banned, except official displays, because the kids get hurt.

England allows them and it's the same pictures every year....kids with burnt fingers.

But hauling moonshine across State lines should not be a crime.

Homebrew is a right, not a priviledge.

I'm tempted to do a Smokey and the Bandit. But I don't know where to get moonshine from and I would not know where to haul it to.

I guess a dry State would be a good destination. One with lots of churches. You would need a customer.

Big-and-Little-Enos.jpg

But where to buy to load the semi?

And what blocker car to use?

Talking of CB radios (well, not really) I was quite impressed by the Americans that still use these. The other day I pulled next to this Ford truck with a guy using one. I had my radio on but his signal was so strong that my radio lost reception and all I could hear was his CB conversation on my car radio!

Who makes moonshine? Is it rednecks or hillbillies? And what is a redneck? And what is a hillbilly?

And where do these people live? Long Island?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think fireworks should be banned because the kids get hurt.

But hauling moonshine across State lines should not be a crime.

Homebrew is a right, not a priviledge.

I'm tempted to do a Smokey and the Bandit. But I don't know where to get moonshine from and I would not know where to haul it to.

I guess a dry State would be a good destination. One with lots of churches.

But where to buy to load the semi?

And what blocker car to use?

Talking of CB radios (well, not really) I was quite impressed by the Americans that still use these. The other day I pulled next to this Ford truck with a guy using one. I had my radio on but his signal was so strong that my radio lost reception and all I could hear was his CB conversation on my car radio!

Who makes moonshine? Is red necks or hillbillies? And what is a red neck? And what is a hill billy?

Roger Dodger Ian.

Making things ilegal does not stop them. Making guns illegal altogether will mean that only criminals would have them.

Smoking has been proven to cause cancer, yet people still smoke like chimneys, while they are illegally texting and driving DUI.
Taxes on cigarettes have been raised to cause the price to go from what used to be below a buck a pack to over 11 dollars a pack. people still buy them.
For that, they need to have their health insurance policies revoked; actually that is being worked on.

You are allowed to make your own homebrew beer and wine for your own consumption. Drink Hearty.
I agree that kids should be protected somehow from fireworks. Maybe having child protective services take them away from their abusive parents?
Does that sound reasonable Ian? maybe they can be sent to England to be properly raised there.CB's are cool and safer than texting, but not too private. Here is the code list should you decide to install a CB in your big rig hauling moonshine from the redneck hillbillies. And here is a very good car to use, especially if you get her to ride shotgun. With your shirt, you should be able to convince her.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=10-4
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...dfTrjwMqb10gHCmcjYAg&ved=0CEwQ9QEwAw&dur=1922

Being somewhat of a city boy myself, I'm not sure what the difference is between a hillbilly or a redneck, so I looked it up for the both of us for our edification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck
Seems they are both related. possibly by incest. Apologies to my redneck hillbilly friends.

The semi you can work out with a driver at a truck stop; just offer him some porridge and bangers to lend you his truck

Last edited:

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Terry/Bob L: So why should Missourians and Wisconsites be free to blow off fingers and make a mess while others are denied the same right? Ian is advocating for a national consensus on this and it pains me to say that I might agree.

Ian, instead of a semi I suggest starting with a load of booze on your F-150. And make sure that you use copper pipes to make it, not lead. I wonder if anyone has ever tried pex and sharkbites for this application?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think the rules should be consistent. However, I can see that out in the country it can be looser and nobody cares.
On the farm, we used to shoot our guns and there wasn't anyone around to even hear it.
We had explosives that would blow up a five foot rock. I almost pushed the plunger on one when my dad hollered to stop. My brother was driving in with his family right by the rock we had set up to demolish.

When my dad was young, he worked with dynamite building roads up in the mountains around Levenworth and Wenatchee.

Last edited:

Pipehacker

Reaction score
I agree that kids should be protected somehow from fireworks. Maybe having child protective services take them away from their abusive parents?
Does that sound reasonable Ian? maybe they can be sent to England to be properly raised there.

Forty plus years ago my father bought me a .22 caliber rifle for my eighth birthday present. And taught me to use it safely. Please do not make me go to England as I may not be able to drive a pickup while there and would come back with an ugly shirt But if I did that today with my eight year old I probably would be prosecuted.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, you just want to ban most anything! I agree their are dangers in fireworks, but also, is walking with a fork in your hand. Using commonsense goes a long long way. Your moonshine could cause kids to drive drunk when they get their hands on it.

What do you do for fun? their is nothing left.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Forty plus years ago my father bought me a .22 caliber rifle for my eighth birthday present. And taught me to use it safely. Please do not make me go to England as I may not be able to drive a pickup while there and would come back with an ugly shirt But if I did that today with my eight year old I probably would be prosecuted.
Worse than an ugly shirt, you might come back with an ugly girl. No, wait there are some decent looking birds over there.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry/Bob L: So why should Missourians and Wisconsites be free to blow off fingers and make a mess while others are denied the same right? Ian is advocating for a national consensus on this and it pains me to say that I might agree.

Ian, instead of a semi I suggest starting with a load of booze on your F-150. And make sure that you use copper pipes to make it, not lead. I wonder if anyone has ever tried pex and sharkbites for this application?

Pex Would ad that bisphenolA taste, and not do a good job of heat transfer. I think Ian should do it the old fashioned way with a car radiator. In the mid 70's, I actually had an experimental distillers licence from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. BATF. could not remember the acronym til I wrote it out. Got all enthused and built a 6GPH Ethanol still, but then it was revealed that the shortage of petroleum was a farce.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks