I just bought a 7 yr old home and noticed that my master and guest
bathroom have brasscraft valves for the hot and cold water under the
sinks However i cannot turn the handle on none of the valves to switch
the hot or cold water off either faucet in the sink. Any idea how
these valves turn

thanks

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
I usually a small pair of channel locks to turn them initally. Make sure they are not plastic stems. If they are metal stems then you can apply wd-40 spray and wait a few minutes. Then you can try turning the handle while also holding back with another small channel lock.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
I'm sorry i don't know what u mean by "try turning the handle while also holding back with another small channel lock"

thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

Don't worry about holding back since you should not have to do it, and if you did, then the valve would probably break and need replacement anyway.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
Guys thanks, I managed to turn the stop clockwise and i could shut off most of them however there were a couple that were very hard to turn.
Will spray WD - 40 on them and see if it makes it any easy. Let me know if there is another spray which may works better or is recommended

thanks

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
HJ said "Don't worry about holding back since you should not have to do it, and if you did, then the valve would probably break and need replacement anyway."

So If I read this right ---if you hold back your valve will break....???? Why on earth would your valve break if you were to hold back on it.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The idea is to not twist the supply pipe, if I understand correctly. By holding the valve assembly while turning the handle, you lessen the possibility of that kind of damage. My unprofessional opinion.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Did work today for a guy who has a 2 family that was built in the late 60's by the Dree's company. All shutoffs were sweat valves, up against the wall and I didn't want to heat the old ones off. So instead I took them all apart, dropped the stems in muriatic acid, sanded the stems where the packing nut travels and put the plumber's grease to the stem and the splines. Those had the push type washers, I just grabbed some regular black rubber seat washers and pressed them on. Worked like a charm with great ease of turning them on and off. For the situation that was presented, it was an ideal repair with the customer being able to shut down these valves to maintain the plumbing. I rebuilt a Sayco 3 handle tub/shower valve the same exact way for a fraction of the cost of what the alternative would of been; new stems and valves. That equates to more labor, less material. It was definitely old school logic.

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
hi
I sprayed WD-40 on the shut off valves and now all turn like they were brand new. Thanks all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks