Core Drilling and Floor Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian B

Reaction score
I have been tasked many times over the years with installing additional floor drains where core drilling is involved. I have done this many different ways with mixed success. I am not a plumber, i am a Facilities Manager with 20 years experience and have capable staff and decent equipment, we do a lot of plumbing. Here is my question:

What is the proper way to install a floor drain in a commercial setting where the floor has to be cored? Do you core a 4" hole followed by a 6" down a couple inches, chip out the concrete and set the drain? What is the right material to set it in? What is the best drain to use?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Brian

index.php

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Coring twice is nice.
I use a cast drain in that situation with an adjustable top.
I've let the flooring installers worry about the the back fill on the drain. Maybe someone here does flooring and can answer that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Drilling a lorge hole for the drain's flange, and a smaller one for the drain pipe is the only way to provide support for it. But the larger hole is usually drilled first, then the smaller one. This gives better control of the water into the lower level.

Reaction score
Website
www.charlottenccoredrilling.info
Core drilling for floor drains

Well, for someone who doesn't know about core drilling you hit it right on the head.
For recessed floor drains that is exactly how you would proceed. We often have core drilled holes of this nature to set something back into the concrete like it was made to go there.
This also works great for grates and floor lighting.

But first drill the large hole so you have material (the concrete floor) to work with as far as getting the recess as flat as you can, this is where the chipping hammer comes in. Once you got it the depth you want then drill the smaller hole for the piping.

We are professional core drillers in North Carolina

Charlotte core drill
http://www.charlottenccoredrilling.info

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I find it interesting that random professionals come out of the wood work, create an account, and advertise for themselves like this...

Mike Magee

Reaction score
I find it interesting that random professionals come out of the wood work, create an account, and advertise for themselves like this...
I find it interesting that people sign up for accounts to respond to 7 year old threads to say this: I really thought he was just listing his business details to show that he is knowledgeable, there are not many large SC towns near Charlotte NC, and the OP mentioned having tools and skills. So it would be pretty unlikely that his post would lead to a job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks