Toto Drake II vs Kohler Cimmaron Class 6

Users who are viewing this thread

RedHouse

Reaction score
Hello. I would like to share a pitiful expierience I recently had.

I was looking for a toilet that would clean the bowl and flush solids to accomadate 20> guests in 2 days or so. For one of the bathrooms, I bought a Kohler Santa Rosa. No complaints whatsoever. I bought a toto drake II for the other one. 4 clogs in 2 days. And this is the one that gets used less. After a month of plunging and augering, I tossed it out and got a Kohler Cimmaron. Now I have to say that the 400+ dollars for the II was a complete waste. The Cimmaron hasen't clogged since.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well.....that's one experience I guess.

We don't promise that any toilet will never clog. Some people will flush shoes down their toilets. Or at least try.
Normally what I've seen, is that the Toto will clog less often then the Kohler trapway. The Toto has better routing which points the waste down the drain. But then again, depending on the paper used, or the things flushed down, anything can and does happen after the installation. I've even seen people flush the box that the wax comes in down the drain, creating a nice plug for the next user.

I notice that you initially said you were from New York, but your IP address is Plano Texas? A little confused?

trapway_toto_kohler.jpg

Toto points the waste down the drain. The Kohler doesn't

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's done is done, but my bet is there was nothing wrong the the Toto. As Terry suggested, there was something in the trap that was causing the clogging. I say this because this is about the only thing that would cause a Toto or really any toilet to clog 4 times in 2 days. Frankly, I think you overreacted, but it's too late to do anything about it.

RedHouse

Reaction score
Thanks.

Gary Swart, I augered and plunged the toilet a million times, and nothing came up except a bit of paper. And Terry, yes i am travelling with my laptop.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary Swart, I augered and plunged the toilet a million times, and nothing came up except a bit of paper. And Terry, yes i am travelling with my laptop.

On your way to the annual Kohler employee convention? LOL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On your way to the annual Kohler employee convention? LOL

That was my thought too.

Since I sell and install thousands of toilets, I find it strange that the ones I throw out work like a miracle for bluehouse and all the repeat sales I get for products that have been consistently working for others seem to fail for bluehouse. Very strange. It must be the water in Texas.

Bluehouse signed on a month ago. It must be a long, long vacation.

Last edited:

RedHouse

Reaction score
I am not a Kohler rep.

Terry, after pulling the toilet back and giving it a once-over, I found something like black rock in the trapway. I pulled it out and threw it away. Anybody know if that was a defect or something flushed down?

]And yes I was overreacting. Just kinda annoyed about the clogging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Black rock?

Reminds me of the job in Issaquah on the lake. The tile setter had placed his broken tile in the toilet drain line.
I couldn't figure out if it was sabotage or stupidity.

I've never seen new toilets come with decorative rocks.

RedHouse

Reaction score
Well I wasn't the one who installed it. Is it possible one of the kids flushed it down? He has a collection. And why does Terry have 2 accounts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is fairly common for children to flush things, either accidentally or on purpose - just to see what happens. They rarely tell you about it unless it is one of their favorite toys. Sometimes they go all the way through, sometimes they don't.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, why do I have two accounts?
Is it perhaps so someone else doesn't use my name?

If you put rocks in a toilet and they don't go all the way through, it's going to cause problems.
Normally you like to only use a toilet for.............you know.
I'm sure rocks aren't what they were designing them for.
Or broken tile, or cardboard boxes, or cell phones, to toy cars, or pencils.

If you try to use them as a garbage can, you going to have to take them outside to dump them.
Unbolt the toilet, take it outside, turn it upside down and start shaking. Geez.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks