Anyone use an angle finder to check for 1/4" per foot slope?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Seems to me it would be way easier to check it with an angle finder instead of a 1" block attached to a 4 ft. level? A 1/4" block attached to a 1 foot level would work too, but the angle finder seems so easy?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbers are trained to use their torpedo levels and just crack the bubble !

In 30 plus years have never failed a inspection yet

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another way would be to use a line level. That is a level with hooks on each end that hook over a stout cord. Drive stakes at each end of the run and measure the distance of the run. This will tell you how much fall is needed for that section. Now stretch the cord from one stake to the next with the high end on top of the beginning point When level is located, tie the cord off and measure down the stake the distance you have determined is needed for the slope.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
What is your definition of an "angle finder"? There are many types of "slope/pitchlevels" to give pipes the proper grade.

http://www.digipas.com/DWL-280 Specs.html

anything to put on top of a pipe to see what angle it is.

BTW, the angle in degrees that I came up with for 1/4" per foot is 1.19348942 degrees, can anyone confirm or deny if that is right?

You'd just plop the digital level on the pipe, look for 1.19 degrees and you're good! The only drawback is it's hard to find one with a degree of accuracy better than 0.2, I'm sure it'd be at least as accurate as a 4 foot bubble level?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/4" per foot is 2.0833 percent
.25 / 12.0
Code books say 2%

That looks like a nice level though.
I'm used to using a simple level and just looking at the bubble.
They last for years and years and don't need battery changes. But gadgets are cool too.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you are working with plastic pipe, it is seldom "straight", so your digital level or angle finder is only going to measure the grade of a 12" section of pipe, unless you "slide" it along the ENTIRE length of the pipe. A 4' level distributes the inaccuracy over a longer distance and is thereform more accurate.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I designed and built my house, I calculated the slope along with all the drops I needed for turned elbows etc. working backwards from the septic field and then worked off the drawings measuring to the level structure. The torpedo level was used more for confirmation. I calibrated the torpedo level by placing it on top of the 4 foot level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks