Shower Curb / Custom Shower Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

n0teye

Reaction score
1. When building a shower curb on a concrete slab I have opted to go the brick route as opposed to the 2x4 route. I understand how to affix the bricks to the slab, however I haven't been able to find a solid answer on what I am supposed to use to affix the vinyl water barrier to the outside of the curb (bricks) as well as the metal lathe used to form the curb over top of the vinyl.

2. Also on a concrete subfloor, do I need to lay down tar paper / metal lathe to give the pre-slope something to grab onto? If so, what is the proper way to secure these two items to the concrete? I've also read that you can just use thinset to have the existing slab bond to the pre-slope.

Appreciate the help in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, on question 2, either put down some thinset or make a slurry of portland cement before you throw down the deckmud. Make sure you cover it before it skins over. On a slab, you want it bonded, and either of those will bond it in place. If it was on a wooden slab, then you'd want something to prevent the wooden deck from sucking the moisture out of the deckmud before it had a chance to cure...not the case on a slab.

If you overbend the lath for the curb, it will act like a spring clamp. Be careful not to tear the liner when you put it over the curb. Then, you cover it with a sticky brick mortar. A good place for reference material on shower building and anything tiled is www.johnbridge.com. Look in their 'Liberry' section.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks