Ridgid 3800

Users who are viewing this thread

Fixitright

Reaction score
Found a deal on a brand new Ridgid 3800 with 75' of 3/8" for $800.00
A worthwhile purchase?

I can tell how much a K400 is adored by many but for an inside non
main machine will I be happy with the 3800 and is it far Superior to a K400?

Should last for years?

What can it do with the optional 1/2' line?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the $800.00 may be ridiculous, I would not pay half that much for it, and 3/8" cable is worthless in my opinion. 75' of 1/2" cable would be, and is, my minimum.

AssTyme

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like a good deal. I prefer the Spartan 100 but the Ridgid 3800 would be a good choice for 1 1/4" - 2" lines. I run 75' of 13/32" in my 100 but 3/8" will be fine. I would think 1/2" would be a bit much for small drains and it's too little machine for main lines.

Might also want to check out the Eel Model N.

Last edited:

Fixitright

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply's. I do appreciate your positive attitude AssTyme. I'ts refreshing and much easier to follow.
For $800.00 a brand new k3800 is a good deal and really hard to pass up.

It seems folks here are loyal to their particular machines (toys) and I can respect that.

Again thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would think 1/2" would be a bit much for small drains

I have NOT been using anything smaller than 1/2" cable, (other than 5/16 for sink strainers and bathtubs), for 50 years and have NOT had any problem in 1 1/2" drains. For $800.00, I could buy a multi drum machine with small cables for 2" and smaller and a large one for 3" and bigger.

AssTyme

Plumber
Reaction score
quote; I would think 1/2" would be a bit much for small drains

I have NOT been using anything smaller than 1/2" cable, (other than 5/16 for sink strainers and bathtubs), for 50 years and have NOT had any problem in 1 1/2" drains. For $800.00, I could buy a multi drum machine with small cables for 2" and smaller and a large one for 3" and bigger.

I don't know how much drain cleaning you do but I sometimes have problems getting a 5/16" cable around some of the old 1 1/2" 90's.

What brand and model machine are you referring to ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mine is a Burton Powersnake, and I do a LOT of drain cleaning, and have done it for 60 years, and ONLY use a 5/16" cable in my cordless Ridgid handheld for lavatory and tub drains when I have to go through the "P" traps. I do NOT try to snake through "P" traps with my larger machine. I did work with someone years ago who tried to do so, and he THOUGHT he was feeding the snake into the sewer, but when he pulled it back, he found out the trap was filled with a lot of 12" lengths of cable because he was "snapping" it into little pieces by going into the "U" bend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks