(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing Cast Iron Shower Drain / P-Trap & Replacing with ABS

Default Replacing Cast Iron Shower Drain / P-Trap & Replacing with ABS

First off - thanks to all of you who contribute to this message board as it has a wealth of information.

I am in the middle of remodeling our master bathroom and would appreciate some guidance.

Where I stand now is a 2'x2' demo'd area of concrete from the foundation of the house in order to remove the old drain assembly, cast iron p-trap (found it was cracked once I removed it.

What I am unsure of is how to properly assemble / re-cement the area that I demolished. I've already purchased the following:

2"to2" No Hub Fernco Adapter
    2" ABS
    Oatey Square Drain w/ clamping ring
    2" ABS P-trap

The problem I have is when it comes to filling in the concrete etc to make the area whole again. Do I reconstruct the drain plumbing but not attach the drain itself? I'd imagine I'd want to make the floor flush with the riser portion of the ABS plastic? Or do I install the bottom portion of the drain into the cement and make the cement flush with the bottom portion of the drain? Are there any walk-throughs available online?

This picture from johnbridge.com leads me to believe that the bottom portion of the drain should sit above the foundation slightly in order to properly slope the pre-slope making the bottom drain portion flush with the mortar pre-slope. If so - how much above the foundation?

http://www.johnbridge.com/wp-content...howerpan35.jpg

Is it ok to embed an abs drain in concrete?

Apologize in advance if my post is confusing as it's a lot more difficult to describe the predicament than I thought.

Thanks!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The lower plate is at the lowest point where you will be installing the pre-slope.
    The top of the lower portion accepts the water at it's lowest point.
    The two pieces, top and bottom clamp together and seal it.
    The ABS can be embedded in the concrete.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Over a cement slab, you can have your mudbed get pretty thin near the drain. Over a wooden subfloor, you generally want it closer to at least 1" thick. So, the clamping ring would be even with the lowest, thinnest section of the mudbed.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014