Washer drain/trap question (sewer smell)

Users who are viewing this thread

nickfinity

Reaction score
My wife and I moved into a new (to us) house about two months ago. It came with an old washer and dryer that we recently replaced. The new washer is a front loader. Since we got the new washer we notice a sewer gas smell after we take a shower in the master bath. I usually go in and dump a small glass of water down the drain and it goes away. I thought maybe it was that the guy from Lowe's put the drain hose really far down the pipe and it was bypassing the trap.

However, today I took a look and I'm not sure why it only happens after a shower. Being a plumbing amateur, what's my best bet for fixing the issue? I've attached two pictures. The drain with the trap is the master shower and the other one is the washer. plumbing2.jpgplumbing1.jpg

Thanks for any help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First...can we assume that there is a trap for the washer above the floor??

Now, there are problems with the shower. It is not vented, and it is connected to the drain line with the wrong type of fitting.

nickfinity

Reaction score
First...can we assume that there is a trap for the washer above the floor??

Now, there are problems with the shower. It is not vented, and it is connected to the drain line with the wrong type of fitting.

Jim - Thank you very much for the help. I'm not sure if there is a trap above the floor or not. I had assumed so, but I wasn't sure how the master shower running would cause the smell. Or maybe I've just noticed the smell after a shower since those two are connected and the drain hose for the washer is past the trap (I'm going to cut it later anyway) and the activity from the shower caused it to smell.

What type of fitting should be used? And the bigger issue, how would I correct the lack of a vent?

Thanks again.

Nick

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower should be vented separately from the washer drain line.
When the washer spins out the water, it pulls water from the shower p-trap.

The shower should have it's own p-trap and vent, and then farther down stream, the washer can wye off, run up through the floor with a p-trap above the floor, and then the vent from the washer p-trap and the vent from the shower can tie together above the washer.

What you have needs to be cut out and replaced.

nickfinity

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Do you do any work in Indiana? :) Just curious, is having separate vents usually a code requirement? I'll see if I can get some help from my father-in-law or find a local reputable plumber to come take a closer look. Thanks again for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In this case it is a code requirement.

If you had a cross fitting, then you could have shared the vent.
You are running horizontal though, and you certainly can't wet vent the washer past the shower. It pulls the water from the p-trap.

nickfinity

Reaction score
Thanks again. I'll give the previous homeowner a call too. He built the house so I'll see what he says about it. I'll report back with what I find out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Regarding the fitting....the shower outlet is connected to the drain line with a sanitary tee fitting. That fitting is not allowed for a horizontal connection. Needs to be a wye. There are good reasons why this is code....my typing fingers are too tired to go into it! If you look down along the stand pipe where the washer hose is stuck in...there should be a trap above the floor. if the pipe is in the wall...well we don't know for sure what's there, do we!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks