Real Estate Taxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Since when were taxes about "liking to pay"? It's your contribution to society Bob.

And that pickup is a problem.

I don't mind you owning it, but the gas you put in it is underpriced. It does damage to the environment that you are not paying for.

We need to raise taxes on gas. At the moment, it's like your dog pooping on my sidewalk.

Cap and trade is the way to go. We'd have it already if it were not for the current leadership of the House.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Fortunately here in CA, property tax is capped at 1% of the price you purchased it for, and the base can only go up max 2% per year, so little old ladies don't get taxed out of their homes, as long as they live there. The income tax and business taxes and sales taxes are high to make up. Of course the 97% democrat state legislature spends money faster than we can possibly make it, but at least I won't lose my house to property tax lien!

Get some local comp's and fill out the form to LOWER your taxes in this lovely 1930's economy.

Cookie

Reaction score
See, I am going to buy one of these "tiny" homes, and park it in my rellies driveway and live off of them and their electric.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/

No taxes, nothing... eat their food, drink their water, use their utilities, ah, that is the life.

I think, the EPU or the Vardo, would make them happiest.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Since when were taxes about "liking to pay"? It's your contribution to society Bob.

I don't mind you owning it, but the gas you put in it is underpriced. It does damage to the environment that you are not paying for.

We need to raise taxes on gas. At the moment, it's like your dog pooping on my sidewalk.

Cap and trade is the way to go. We'd have it already if it were not for the current leadership of the House.

My pickup is not your problem. my dog pooping on your sidewalk is a property improvement. but I pick up after him, so I return the sidewalk to its former curb appeal. If you enjoy paying more taxes, then just claim single, no dependants and file your return but claim no refund. In fact, you can even have your employer take more out of your pay. If you enjoy paying higher gas prices, then go back to the UK. The corporate average fuel economy of US auto makers is much better now than it used to be. My pickup can actually get up to 21 miles per gallon on the road. I like it, and the 10 gallon cowboy hat (my cap) on my head, and the rifle in my back window. YEE HAH!

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

http://quasi-superspooge.blogspot.com/2010/09/british-cowboy.html

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Like I say, I have no beef with your truck or your driving habits. But all Americans are paying too little for their gas, which means they are using too much, which is heating my planet up. And that affects me whether I live here, there or anywhere.

Americans need to tax gas more heavily to offset the environmental damage they are doing to our planet.

At the moment, they're just free-riding on the generosity of the rest of us.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ian, the US is a big place and not everybody lives in the city. The population is sprawled out all over the place for many miles from the city. I live 50 miles from NYC. the Long Island Railroad and the MTA is the largest commuter railroad system in the US. There are people who live 80 miles from the city and take the train to it. Not everybody living in the suburbs travels to the city, and Long Island has about 4 million residents. Public transportation is different here than in Europe. Too many miles, too many people here for public transportation to handle people need cars to get to work. Raising taxes on gasoline will NOT stop people from using there cars to get to work if they live 5 to 20 miles or so from their jobs. You grew up in a different world. You don't get it at all. We have done lots here to reduce pollution. China continues to grow and belches out pollution with NO REGARD to anybody. At least we here try to cut back. Ride a camel, they produce methane, which is NG either for our environment. One hump or 2?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's not necessarily about cutting back. It's about paying more for the damage gas consumption does to the environment.

People in rural communities may suffer, yes. But if you are worried about them then give them handouts. Like you do with farmers.

You'd be surprised to learn that some of the very politicians that run on a no-entitlement, low tax platform are the very same whose families have benefitted from farm subsidies!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Get some local comp's and fill out the form to LOWER your taxes in this lovely 1930's economy.

Fortunately, I have owned my place since 1990, so even today, it is worth more than what my tax base is! Even if that wasn't the case, in the recent economy the county actually did some automatic base adjustments even without having to file the paperwork!

Cookie

Reaction score
Sometimes finding comps is tedious, sometimes, they aren't even close enough to be true comps. A whole lot of things is taken into consideration. RE agents work at this really hard.

Alot of people are finding they are in a reverse situation and getting really scared, and want to sell thinking, it is the best thing to do. However, if they wait, the economy alone will right it, I think, to at least the degree where the homeowner is not at a loss. My brother was upside down and it worked out, he even recently had built a detached, 2 car garage.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, I had read where their is enough of fossil fuel in this country alone to last another 4 to 500 years. Back way back, it was said, we would run out of oil in 30 years, that was said, I think, in the 30's. More oil will be found. I think you underestimate the size of the US, and the distance between home and work for most. Not everyone lives in a place like London where all transportation is available and to ride in a bike in remote areas here, or rural areas here is a joke Ian. You would be peddling your butt off for hours and be too tired to work! To excerise is one thing to be foolish is another. One way people could cut back is on mowing the lawns, but, then you got to remember that their are negatives things in doing that! I wait for the day, one person has all the answers to important things in life, but that isn't going to happen. It takes many people everywhere to think, to figure things out, to find answers, and one thing, all most do is to remember one thing, that circumstances must be weighed in. You are giving answers to us, in the US, like our country is like yours. Not so. The answers cannot be the same for the factors are not. It is like doing an equation=the state of being equal.

Dust your erasers, wipe the chalkboard and start all over again. This time, use all the information you know, the sizes of the countries, do a math proof, and remember Ian,
quod erat demonstrandum. ( which was to be shown)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know how it happened ? but my post mixed in with your original post, so sorry... I fixed it, I think, lol.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
042.jpg

Want a small vardo or gypsy wagon? We build those in off times. If I can find a photo of the finished version, I'll post it.

This one finished with a copper roof and fantastic detailing inside. It has over 25,000 miles on it now, and no cracks yet. DMV tax of about 150$ a year.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
logging 8-2011 272.jpglogging 8-2011 272.jpglogging 8-2011 273.jpg

So here is the tax free true American home inspired by the European Gypsys - Makes life pretty simple.

Attachments

• logging 8-2011 274.jpg
    logging 8-2011 274.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I did not know you were a traveller Ballvalve. Nice home. And a great mountain too.

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, that is funny. I could put one of those "fortune teller" things in it, and charge while it is sitting in my rellies driveway, ;) I would love that.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Neat! I'd like one, but I don't think my neighbors would. I it hurricane proof? Will it float on flooded rivers?

Cookie

Reaction score
I love the American flag on it! and... that is something, I never kid around about.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Love to travel, but a bit lighter for me - that was built for a customer. They are writing a book on their trip, where you can imagine they had lines of people wanting to have a look.

Its quite light and tows easy, not like those beastly tiny houses with peaked roofs at crazy prices in cookies link.

They claim they got 12 to 16 mpg - I think it weighed in at 3500 pounds.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks