Add iron out/rust out to Neutralizer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kg2k

Reaction score
I haven't seen this addressed and I did search. I have an acid neutralizer. After I installed it I was amazed by how it reduced the red staining in the toilets and fixtures to almost non-existent. It's been a few months now and the staining is back almost to where it was. I see that people add rustout/iron out to water softeners. Is that something that I could do for my AN before a backwash? Is there any reason in particular not to do something like that?

I'm not sure that will fix the issue but I figured it might be worth a shot to add a cup full before a manual backwash every few months.

Kg2k

Reaction score
Yes, I manually backwash it but have never gone more than a week without backwashing. Lately been doing twice a week.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is a timer set up , it should be every 3 days.
If it is a manual how much time are you spending on each part of the backwash?
backwash for ?
rapid rinse for ?

How long has the system been in?
What is the ph of the water?
How many in the house?

Kg2k

Reaction score
If it is a timer set up , it should be every 3 days.
If it is a manual how much time are you spending on each part of the backwash?
backwash for ?
rapid rinse for ?

How long has the system been in?
What is the ph of the water?
How many in the house?

I just click the dial over and let it do it's thing. Never timed it. Ph was like 7.5 last time I tested it. Just me in the house.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You can't add the Iron Out during backwash unless you did it manually out of a disposable cartridge housing on the inlet water line because the water flow is UP through the media and Service is downflow but...

You have loaded up the mineral with rust particles by not backwashing more frequently (max 3 days) and that is why you are getting the staining now. Put it in backwash and once started unplug the control for like 15-20 minutes. Watch your well doesn't go dry, then plug it in and let it finish on its own watching for the well to go dry.

Kg2k

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I was thinking of just adding it to the top where you add the mineral and then backwashing, hoping it got mixed up well during backwash.

I will try the longer backwash by unplugging the control. Unless something has changed there should be no danger of my well running dry for 15 minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks