Old Bradford White Water Heater leaking... Replacement options?

Users who are viewing this thread

David Jones

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and was recommended by a friend.

The problem here is that my Bradford White Oil powered water heater has just stopped working. By that, I mean that the water heater leaks whenever i turn the hot water on anywhere in the house, when I first realized this was when i saw my basement slowly flooding. I've contacted a plumber but it seems one won't come until Monday/Tuesday.

It's quite an old model I believe, as it's been here ever since I bought the home (10+ years) The mode # is MI50L60F10, but I don't seem to be able to find much on that.

What I'm looking for is a suitable replacement for this water heater, it has a fan or generator of some sort that is attached to it outside my house, and the water heater itself is in the basement, will this water heater need an exact replacement, or could I just go get another oil water heater from Sears or something and replace it? I had a friend look at it and he said that I'd need an exact replacement but he wasn't too sure.

If anyone can help on this matter, it'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David.

David Jones

Reaction score
Alright, I was just wonder cause my friend said since it has the fan or generator or whatever outside my house connected to it, and he said the pipe size is a factor, i have the get a similar version of it, if not the same one. Any model would work then?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some heating appliances can use different methods of venting (flue). Sounds like you have a power-vented system - they use the fan to move the exhaust horizontally, when it can't go up a normal, mostly vertical flue on its own. As long as the new one is designed as a power-vented one, you should be able to use it. It could require a new fan, though, but you may be able to utilize the existing one. Since the fan tends to only live a little longer than the typical tank, it might be good to consider replacing it as well. You'd want to examine the vent pipe - it could be fine, but if it is rusty, that should be replaced at the same time also. The size of the flue tends to depend on the BTU rating of the unit, and how far you have to run the thing. Keep those two variables the same, and your chances of reuse may rise.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't quite get the "fan or generator" outside. Do not just grab any old water heater until you know how it is vented, is that "fan or generator" a code-approved installation, and is it all working correctly.

By the way, the description that the water heater leaks whenever hot water is run somewhere in the house also does not make sense. Please explain exactly where the leak is....it may not be the WH leaking@!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF it is leaking from the T&P valve, then you may have a failed expansion tank, and $40 or so and 10-minutes will resolve the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks