PVC Conduit Indoors

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming it's okay to use PVC conduit under this circumstance?

-I am building a stud wall in front of a 3" ABS drain line that exits the building about 20" above the slab in my basement, this wall will run perpendicular to the exterior wall.

-I would like to run power to a shed using PVC conduit outside the home at a later date.

-I would like to run 1" conduit behind this wall to the exterior wall, and exit the building w/ an LB conduit body.

-At the other end of the conduit run on the indoor side, I would like to use a 4x4x2 PVC junction box that will be on a wall in my furnace closet.

-None of the conduit will be exposed when I finish the bathroom, I will have access for pulling wire through the conduit body and the 4x4 junction box. I plan to run romex style wire from the panel in the house to the junction box and from there to the shed, the trench and under ground conduit will be done at a later date as well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Here you must use wet rated wire or cable (THWN or UF) in any location that will be underground. Even if it is in conduit, it is still considered wet.

If the cable is safe from physical damage in the basement, you could run bare romex (NM) from the main panel to the junction box and cap it there. When you are ready to install the rest of the run, use THWN in conduit to the shed.

When my house was built, local codes required all exposed wiring to be in conduit. This was before PVC, thus the entire house is done in EMT.

The one issue here would be during inspection, as the inspector wants to see all of the wiring. If the inspector wanted to be anal, he could make you open the wall up so that entire length could be inspected.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I know what wires will be run in the conduit, I know what will be used between the panel and the conduit run. I have lots of exposed wiring in my basement, and not EMT anywhere...

Back on topic.

I was asking about using the conduit indoors, I wasn't sure if PVC was allowed or not...?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Romex is NOT typically ran inside conduit.

I never mentioned using romex inside conduit.

I said I would run romex from the panel to a PVC junction box, and from the pvc junction box through conduit to a PVC LB conduit body, a few bends underground and into a shed.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes you can run the PVC as you stated.I once installed a 1"1/2 PVC pipe from basement to attic while the walls
where open for future use and the inspector was okay with it,but had to do fire stop when it went through the
floor plates.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks