Kitchen Sink Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

hrsnblm

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a remodel in my kitchen and would like to ask a question regarding sink replacement.

Previously I was looking at some of the more known names (Kohler, etc) for a new sink, but the prices for these sinks are OUTRAGEOUS. We are talking about a punched piece of metal to hold water. I have done more looking around and found similarly designed sinks (i.e., same material/weight, color, lay-out, ect.) but I am not familiar with the brand name.

Has anyone had any experience with Morning Industry, Inc? They make sinks out of 18-gauge 304 Grade Stainless Steel, they have differing layouts like the "upper" manufacturers, and have lifetime warranties. But the hassle of installation and money spent to remove it later is worth trying to find out a little more information now.

Let me thank you all ahead of time for any and all responses.

Howard

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As you already know, stainless steel sinks vary by gauge of stainless. A thick one will cost a lot more. They also vary by the undercoat treatment, used to silence the clinky sound. There are also different grades of stainless. This can affect appearance and the ability to remain rust-free. This information is harder to come by.

You always pay more for Kohler. Not neessarily worth the money. There are many good name brands: Elkay/Dayton, etc. If you buy a cheap import, you don't know what's in the steel.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I put in a Kindred sink (made in Canada). Fine so far (several years).

Darren

Reaction score
You may want to check out the 16 guage dropin and undermount sinks on **** for $200-$229 and $26 shipping. Also there are many 18 guage sinks for a little over $100. I just ordered one of the 16 gauge units. I'm not familiar with the brands, but there are 100's positive comments from **** buyers.

Darren

spitz

Reaction score
How would I go about replacing an existing undermount sink? The counters are granite and the sink has already been installed. Would I just disconnect the plumbing, unscrew the bracket mounts, pry away the sink (caulked on) and reattach the new sink in the same drilled holes from the old sink?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That works for me...getting most of the caulk off so you can make a nice tight connection with a new one can be a pain. My unprofessional opinion. You may be able to use a knife blade or a hack saw blade to get through the caulk to release the old sink. A sharpened putty knife might also work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks