Well pump controller with flood detector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtmover

Reaction score
It seems like a no brainer to me to have a flood monitor that can interrupt the supply to my well pump when strategically placed sensors detect the presence of water. This would be extremely easy and almost free to incorporate into an electronic pressure switch or CP controller. Is such a device available?

Yeah I know that water cop product exists but I feel that it would be more reliable to prevent my well pump from turning on in the event of a flood rather than expecting a electro/mechanical valve to function correctly, especially one that is exercised rarely, if ever. I can jut see it being seized 10 years down the road when it is actually needed.

RickK

Reaction score
Emergency pressure switch cut-off?

Yes! I have been scouring the web looking for this. My house has a fully finished daylight basement and I have the sensors for placing in the laundry room, water heater room and pressure tank room but haven't seen how to wire them into the pressure switch. My well service doesn't want to learn anything new so they are no help. I bought the Flood Stop before I really started thinking and had the same concerns that you have. Seems I should be able to wire that relay in to cut power to the pressure switch. Will let you know if I figure it out.

Last edited:

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Seems I should be able to wire that relay in to cut power to the pressure switch. Will let you know if I figure it out.

You can't use this to supply your pressure switch directly. You will need a higher current contactor (say 25A+)

Ja, I've considered suggesting to Cary that he add support for dry contacts on either the EPS15/99 or the Cycle Sensor.

The pressure switch is the ideal candidate. In fact, why anyone would go to the bother of designing such a device without a water sensor input and shutoff is beyond me. We're talking about adding pennies onto the cost of the device to integrate the required electronics/connectors.

While we're at it a set of flood contacts that I can use to latch a malfunction condition into my water sourced heat pump and shut it down are also required.

These features would really differentiate an electronic switch making it something useful rather than just an expensive replacement for a $25 mechanical pressure switch.

The fact is that I would never entertain an electronic pressure switch unless it provided some major benefit over it's mechanical counterpart. With the above features I would snap one up and at it's current price (around $200) I believe it would be an easy sell to many other well owners.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks