(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for preparing for a hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Oh trust me..you CAN afford it right now. Getting a JOB, that's a different story. As for the cost of living...yes gas is a little high. Last time I bought a winter coat or boots? 1962. Last time I had a 3 digit bill for heat in the winter? NEVER
    Last electric bill for the Summer: 800 bucks for 2 months usage. The KWhr rate plus the taxes and surcharges and other crazy fees bring the actual cost per KWhr to a super high rate. Gasoline price today: average $3.83/gal. Price up a little today, maybe because of hurricane coming this way

Me being semi-retired, I really don't need a job anymore. The company I retired from asked me to come back part time, which I did. the money does come in handy. Mortgage paid off years ago. What I meant was with the real estate market the way it is right now, my house is worth 30% less than it was several years ago. I don't know if San Diego real estate depreciated as much to make a home purchase affordable. Anyway, as long as my kids live here on Long Island, I'm sure me and my wife will remain here.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

BobL and Ian, I wish you the best over the weekend. I predict that you will get some heavy rains and wind, but no real damage. Be safe.

Thanks LOTW!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Hurricane Irene could be a major problem for the Eastern Seaboard

Hurricane Irene could be a major problem for the Eastern Seaboard

This is a large, this is a deadly, this is a slow-moving hurricane that is bearing down on the state of Maryland,” said O’Malley, who has declared a state of emergency. “There will no doubt be a lot of flooding. Citizens should anticipate long periods of electrical outages.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...2vfJ_blog.html

Washington Examiner: “‘It will be some of the worst weather that I can remember,’ Accuweather’s Brian Edwards told the Examiner. ‘We’re anticipating high winds, widespread power outages, trees coming down and rapidly rising streams and creeks.’”

WJLA-Channel 7: “Weather Channel anchor says this has the possibililty to become ‘the hurricane of our lifetime.’”

Ian,
    This sounds like exiting stuff coming your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hurricane Irene could be a major problem for the Eastern Seaboard

WJLA-Channel 7: “Weather Channel anchor says this has the possibililty to become ‘the hurricane of our lifetime.’”

Ian,
    This sounds like exiting stuff coming your way.

Part of living in the good ole USA. Yee HA!

Ian gets it, then me.

Good thing Georgia isn't going to get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Good thing Georgia isn't going to get hit.
    I just read in a magazine that people who worry more live longer than extreme optimists. I guess you've proved that wrong Cookie. You are a SURVIVOR extrordinaire. Me, I'm a worrier sometimes, so I guess that article will work for me. My daughter went through Hodgkins and later breast cancer. She is a survivor too, and also has a very positive outlook on life, and not easily alarmed anymore, if she ever was.

Ah, Bob, so sorry about your daughter having to go through this with Mr. Hodgkins. I bet she and I was on the same drugs. I spent 16 months on ABVD for HD, then, a range of other drugs for the other 4 years for NHL. Actually, I do worry, just not about me. Your kids absorb all the worry a body can take. My youngest son is heading to Georgia, now that will make me crazy right now. I would like to be behind him in my car, trailing him down there, just like I did, when he first walked to school. I was always the one behind the bush moving.

Bob, I know I have been through more than most, but, I have never and nor, will I ever consider myself a survivior; don't underestimate insanity, it works.

Bob sorry to hear, too, she had to suffer through breast cancer. That was not kind to her. It is heritary, my mom had it. But, if I had my choice on these matters, I would rather have Mr. Hodgkins. Don't know why. I remember telling my boys when I was first diagnosed ( they were pretty young, 12 &13) to make sure they feel for lumps & bumps down there. They just sat there as still as could be, like statutes. I asked my husband when alone, why they were just sitting there like that? He then, told me, that they came to him, saying, " dad, are these normal to have?" LOL.... Soooooo, if you get what I am saying here, and laughing, then, you know, that sometimes, even the big c, can be funny.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I now have enough beer to see me through. It was that or baby formula but you can't drink baby formula for breakfast.

Just two things left to do. Charge the spare battery for the battery backup sump pump.

And check the sump pit.

Thank God I am relying on an American-made sump pump and not an American-made car.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-26-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Oh, Ian, congrats!
    Good for you.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    My future will probably rely on a Zoeller 507 battery backup sump pump and two deep discharge marine batteries (and my car battery if the forecast gets any worse).

Hard rain and a power cut and my basement is a gonna after the batteries run out. This might be a good test of the 507. It's never been used before.

If the power goes, I won't be sleeping at all. I'll be hunched over the sump pit with a torch!

And a warm beer.

I'll get the inverter out to keep the Corner going, assuming the network is still up.

Memoirs from the sump pit...
    Better plan to RUN the car with some monster cable to the pump if you get 20+ inches of rain.

But in that case the main drains will be flooded and your basement toilet will be a geyser.

And most education in the USA is free for those with a molecule of drive.

Hurricane? piece of cake compared to the fireball 800' high of forest burning that is moving my way right now. Gotta go gas up the generator and get the roof sprinklers on. Do what I did Ian, tunnel 100' into the mountain and fill it with wine, booze and food.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 08-26-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

You should do what I did Ballvalve and cut that forest down.

It's not European growth after all.

Last edited by BobL43; 08-26-2011 at 07:01 PM.

So you are now a proud papa Ian? That is such good news. Boy or girl or one of each? Nothing better than kids. I am thinking about adopting a kid here, one just like me, with same health problems. If I will be allowed, if not, I will continue with the Miracle League.

I have been reading that Georgia will be spared with this Hurricane. I guess I can rest easy with him leaving tomorrow night.