(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 121

Thread: Advice needed for preparing for a hurricane

  1. #31
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    Thanks LOTW. It's not so much the beer I am worried about. I do keep good stocks of 90 Minute IPA.

    But I would not want to flush a toilet with it nor take a shower.

    Besides, the community might need something to drink and nobody touches my beer.

    I am contemplating removing my car battery and placing it indoors as a spare for the battery backup sump pump.

    I really hope New York will be OK. They are such nice people up there. Bob is about as bad as they get in New York.

    And they drive beautifully.

    If anything comes of this storm, it may be buried power lines. America may finally catch up with the rest of us.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-24-2011 at 11:12 AM.

  2. #32
    General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    northfork, california
    Posts
    3,258

    Default

    And buildings should be built of brick (and not wood).
    If your building was brick it would be 1/2 story tall now and much wider.

    If anything comes of this storm, it may be buried power lines. America may finally catch up with the rest of us
    Good for hurricanes, but bad for earthquakes with displacement of ground plates. You can move a power pole 3 feet and not disturb anything. I know, after backing into a tie back with a large dozer. Not something I recommend for those with heart disease.

    Your 5.9 was a baby. We get those like DC gets rapes and muggings. But we dont foolishly build 200' tall granite monuments either.

    I think 4 tie backs are in order for that guy. Or a 400' fence around it. And your seated Lincoln may be reclining on the steps soon!

    I have several 1" steel rods running from my pure rock foundation to the roof. If my mountain moves, the house just travels intact with it. When that Madrid fault in the midwest lets go, what happened in Japan will look like a fender bender. The Mississippi might be running through Texas.

    All those portable classrooms in california, ugly as sin, could take a 9.5 earthquake and just lose some sheetrock. Your DC 1930 brick schools will make Haiti look good.

    Once I was 900' into a gold mine adit, and a 7.5 quake hit. Held up, but needed a lot of liquor to relax.

    40+ litres of vodka in your trunk is good for snow traction, and better than dollar bills or gold after the crash or the big quake.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 08-24-2011 at 01:41 PM.

  3. #33
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Thanks LOTW. It's not so much the beer I am worried about. I do keep good stocks of 90 Minute IPA.

    But I would not want to flush a toilet with it nor take a shower.

    Besides, the community might need something to drink and nobody touches my beer.

    I am contemplating removing my car battery and placing it indoors as a spare for the battery backup sump pump.

    I really hope New York will be OK. They are such nice people up there. Bob is about as bad as they get in New York.

    And they drive beautifully.

    If anything comes of this storm, it may be buried power lines. America may finally catch up with the rest of us.
    Hey thanks for the compliments, although they are so true and obvious, there is no need. How will you protect your beer if you have no firearms to keep the unwashed masses in DC away from you?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  4. #34
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. Something Americans must be terrible at due to their unshakeable trust in firearms. Your fathers teach you to shoot and not box. Which works great, until you forget to bring the gun with you.

    The bigger issue is how will I keep the beer cold without power?

    I used to leave it in the river when I went fishing. Perhaps a bucket of water will work.

    Extreme threat for New York now.

  5. #35
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. Something Americans must be terrible at due to their unshakeable trust in firearms. Your fathers teach you to shoot and not box. Which works great, until you forget to bring the gun with you.

    The bigger issue is how will I keep the beer cold without power?

    I used to leave it in the river when I went fishing. Perhaps a bucket of water will work.

    Extreme threat for New York now.
    hey, what don't kill you, makes you stronger. If it destroys my house, I'll rebuild. I own it, have no mortgage. my beer will be cold in my bunker. Corona Extra is what I favour at the moment, but I prefer hard liquor. And how do YOU know if I was a golden gloves boxer or not as a youngun?
    My son is a 3rd degree blackbelt (last I heard). firearms are not all we learn in the wild wild west of nu yawk
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  6. #36
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    Then ban guns. You have no need for them. Nor does anyone else.

    Corona Extra is a bit so so. It took me five years to discover America's mirco-breweries but now I have there is no turning back.

    Except for hard liqour. Whisky is best. With cigars. Cuban cigars. But you can't bring those to America. So you have to smoke them outside.

    Dominican Republic Cigars are good as well, though.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-24-2011 at 06:43 PM.

  7. #37
    In the Trades Tom Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Ian, let it go. We ain't banning guns. In fact there are a whole lot of gun companies out there that are balls to the wall trying to fill orders, not to mention those companies coming up with new and better guns for us trigger happy Americans. We love guns. This is a nation that was founded down the barrel of a gun. Guns beat back you Brit's, won the west and saved the rest of the world several times in the past century or so. If I were president I would make it illegal to NOT own a gun. In fact everybody would have to have at least a dozen or so. Kids should learn to handle a weapon in Kindergarten. Vote for me, free guns for everyone
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

  8. #38
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Then ban guns. You have no need for them. Nor does anyone else.

    Corona Extra is a bit so so. It took me five years to discover America's mirco-breweries but now I have there is no turning back.

    Except for hard liqour. Whisky is best. With cigars. Cuban cigars. But you can't bring those to America. So you have to smoke them outside.

    Dominican Republic Cigars are good as well, though.
    As good as anybody can fight by hand, when a big ass criminal comes at a ltlle whimpy old man, the gun is a very good equalizer, especially big bore, big loads. YEE HAH!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  9. #39
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. Something Americans must be terrible at due to their unshakeable trust in firearms. Your fathers teach you to shoot and not box. Which works great, until you forget to bring the gun with you.

    The bigger issue is how will I keep the beer cold without power?

    I used to leave it in the river when I went fishing. Perhaps a bucket of water will work.

    Extreme threat for New York now.
    In the Patomac river? I've taken many a pee in it; thats why you enjoy your beer so much maybe.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  10. #40
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Well, it might be 75 mph winds.
    at the moment, it looks a bit extreme for DC as well. Watch out for flying objects while you are taking memorable photos for your friends back home.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  11. #41
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    GET OUT! Move to San Diego:

    >last hurricane/typhoon: NEVER
    >last tornado: NEVER
    >last time the river flooded anything but the golf course: NEVER
    >last 5.8+ earthquake: 1862 (6.0)
    >last 7+ earthquake: prehistoric
    >last time temp. below 35 for more than about an hour: NEVER
    >last time is snowed: 1992. ( time snow lasted on the ground: 17 minutes)
    >last heat wave 100+ for 10 days in a row: NEVER
    >mosquitos: NO
    >locusts: NO


    Come on down!!!!!!!!

  12. #42
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. .
    I think guns are banned in Norway. That self defense crap worked real well for them!

    By the way, in case you have an urge to go out and experience the hurrincane mano y mano, remember this pearl of wisdom from Ron White:
    It is not THAT the wind is blowing, it is WHAT the wind is blowing. All your machismo doesn't help much when a %$^@#$ VOLVO hits you in the head!!!!

  13. #43
    DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    at the moment, it looks a bit extreme for DC as well. Watch out for flying objects while you are taking memorable photos for your friends back home.
    I can just imagine guys with guns standing in the lineups at the lumber store trying to buy plywood to board up their place. What I don't get is that in places where these hurricanes are common, what did all these people do with the plywood they bought last time?

  14. #44
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    I can just imagine guys with guns standing in the lineups at the lumber store trying to buy plywood to board up their place. What I don't get is that in places where these hurricanes are common, what did all these people do with the plywood they bought last time?
    Why, they use them for target practice, of course. what a silly question. Last big hurrican we had here was in 1985 ,and it was a BIG one (Gloria).
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  15. #45
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    Guns are an equalizer?

    So are taxes.

    But I don't see Americans lobbying for them.

    You can keep your guns to help the physically disadvantaged when we can raise your taxes to help the economically disadvanged.

    When was America about equality?

Similar Threads

  1. Advice Needed
    By arnowell in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM
  2. DWV Layout Advice Needed
    By moserro in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
  3. preparing for sod
    By DIY in forum Lawn Care/Landscaping
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
  4. Tub vent advice needed
    By unplumbed in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
  5. Preparing for inspection...
    By coach606 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •