(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for preparing for a hurricane

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

And hurry up and get all the overhead wires underground.

So now we in the Northeast have had a 5.9 magnitude earthquake. I felt it pretty good up here on Long Island, NY a little over an hour ago.

what is with this stupid typing cursor freezing up every ten seconds? It happens on every PC I access this group with!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

This is beginning to sound like the movie 2012 to me. If someone can confirm that they are building really big ships in China I am out of here. I sure hope that the world doesn't end on a day when the stock market is up 300 points.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

We had the earthquake pretty bad in DC. It was violent.

As predicted, America's public services and infrastructure failed to perform.

What a national disgrace.

The mobiles were down. Roads congested. And the metro working at slow speed.

In Europe, we'd have had public transport out in force. There was no sign of the police or fire brigade (volunteers).

I'm home now. Structural integrity appears intact. No apparent water leaks or gas. All electrical connections retorqued to spec.

Doors and windows checked for proper alignment and adjusted to within 1/64.

European upgrades to the original (lower standard) US design of the home performed well.

Asphalt tiles are for garden shed roofs, not homes.

And buildings should be built of brick (and not wood).

Next stop...Hurricane Irene.

Thanks for caring.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-23-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    We had the earthquake pretty bad in DC. It was violent.

As predicted, America's public services and infrastructure failed to perform.

What a national disgrace.

The mobiles were down. Roads congested. And the metro working at slow speed.

In Europe, we'd have had public transport out in force. There was no sign of the police or fire brigade (volunteers).

I'm home now. Structural integrity appears intact. No apparent water leaks or gas. All electrical connections retorqued to spec.

Doors and windows checked for proper alignment and adjusted to within 1/64.

European upgrades to the original (lower standard) US design of the home performed well.

Asphalt tiles are for garden shed roofs, not homes.

And buildings should be built of brick (and not wood).

Next stop...Hurricane Irene.

Thanks for caring.
    And to whom was that last sentence addressed?

All of you. Thanks for caring/responding.

Okay,
    Now if you can run over to my brothers place and check his gas water heater, that would be perfect.
    He's over in Arlington, just a little ways out of town from you.

A 5.9 caused any problems?

Earthquake shuts down Virginia nuclear plant.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23...ashington-d-c/

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently, hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack. Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

the quake knocked out traffic lights downtown, snarling traffic as fire trucks and other emergency vehicles -- sirens blaring -- snaked through the confusion. The sidewalks teemed with anxious office workers who fled or were ordered to leave their buildings.

I remember a 6.2 in the Seattle area, but lucky for us, the math teacher took out his pointer and held the entire ceiling from falling.
    None of the other classrooms had problems either, but it was rather funny watching an "educated" man trying to hold a building up with a skinny stick.
    Last edited by Terry Love; 08-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Arlington would have felt it worse.

Arlington is a great place. I used to live there but could not afford to buy.

It was the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves as they watched what the politicians are doing to the USA.

I am baking chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, sipping tea with lemon and celebrating a really great day for me. I don't care what the winds are or how badly the ground shakes, as long as my cookies are ready to eat soon. That kind of stuff is kid stuff. I have weathered the mother of all storms. (relatives) I can nap through it all. Wake me when it is over so I can see what new stuff I got.

I got my eye on the new outdoor grill a couple of doors down.
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Ian, you guys okay? you are too quiet.
    It's the quiet ones you got to watch.
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-23-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    I don't have a generator.

It's cultural. In England, I cannot remember having a power outage. Ever.

At what wind speeds do you need to "board up"?

Anything above 100 MPH may not be safe, depending on your houses construction.

Then even boarding up the windows may not be of much help, When the roof blows off.

Don't get stuck in a flooding basement, The water could be of more concern than the wind.

I would suggest having plenty of beer on hand, as you can live on beer alone.

A Female may also come in handy.

Only Mother Nature knows what is in store...
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Anything above 100 MPH may not be safe, depending on your houses construction.

Then even boarding up the windows may not be of much help, When the roof blows off.

Don't get stuck in a flooding basement, The water could be of more concern than the wind.

I would suggest having plenty of beer on hand, as you can live on beer alone.

A Female may also come in handy.

Only Mother Nature knows what is in store...
    Now a brick house, like Ian likes, is more likely to kill him from an earthquake. A wood house can get blown apart. This sounds like the 3 little pigs story. wheres the bid bad wolf?

Thanks guys. I will stock up on beer. As you know, one of the things I like about America is its beer.

This looks like it will be a New York event as well. This is a good time to centralize more control in Washington so we are better able to respond to the country's needs.

All the States have very similar preferences anyway. One size fits all.

[QUOTE=Ian Gills;310529]I would agree with you if this were not a Nation of Immigrants.

Which it is and always has been.

Should I buy bottled water? DC is in the orange threat zone now. New York is in the red.

Buying water is only necessary if your toothpaste reacts poorly with beer. It's time to man up, DC. You can't hire a consultant. You can't raise taxes in time to help. It is your destiny to stare this beast of a hurricane in the eye and deal with it, man to man. What would Winston Churchill do? Would he worry about bottled water? Would he say "the only thing we have to fear is Irene herself." No, he would have about eight drinks, load up his side by side Holland and Holland 12 bore to keep the Germans and other riffraff at bay, and deal with it. Ian, I have full confidence that this will be your finest hour. I also have full confidence that your Metro will use this as an excuse to take four days off so you might want to borrow a bicycle.