(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for preparing for a hurricane

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    You should do what I did Ballvalve and cut that forest down.

It's not European growth after all.
    I did, most of it, and built the house with it. Sugar and Ponderosa pine, but the part that burns and is the "ladder" fuel is Manzanita and buckbrush. Its all 2nd and 3rd growth anyway as your genius Cornish miners packed our forests deep into the gold mines many generations ago. [ not a cut, these Cornish miners were the BEST on earth]

Loaded about 40,000 pounds of pine onto the trailer destined for my sawmill just today, even with a forest fire burning our way.

And its so amazing in that there is another billion pounds of pine that I have no time to cut and the mills are too far away to be interested.

[B]
    That's called "investing in people", which America does not do. China does though. You need to understand the big picture to get it. To care about your community, not just your family. To care about people you do not know and will never meet, because if they do good then so will you
    [/B]

China invests in people? Yes, as slaves, backhoes, loaders, and beasts of burden to move their homes from the path of the rising waters of that absolute disaster of a dam that will eventually send them entirely to coal and nuclear. Lesser and mildly slower disasters.

China needs the ONE BABY plan continued, or our next BIG ugly war will be much sooner.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 08-27-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Hope any who have to face Irene do it with no problem. I know its late but a few things to do, Make sure all yard items are tied down or stored in a safe place. If you have an inground pool the best thing to do with yard furniture is to drop it into the pool. It will prevent anything from being blown like a bullet. Even a category one is nothing to fool with. Looks like this one is going to be relatively slow which means as long as it sits over the ocean it will suck up water and lay it down on land. I always prefer a fast moving one. Ian I hope by the time it gets to you it has run aground so it will start to starve itself down. My oldest son is right in an area that will probably be well soaked but he is at least on high enough ground that flooding should not be a problem.

Good Luck to all

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Thanks wmills. I'm nearly ready. I'll move the furniture in now.

The real fight will be between the storm, my two Zoeller sump pumps and my two Optima blue top marine batteries.

Will the flimsy 507 do it or be a let down? I think she'll hold up.

Then it's Bob's problem.

Ian, you might want to look into dry ice, if you can still. It was useful for us when we lived in Tornado alley with 2 small babies, to keep their stuff cold. Back then, in the 80's meds for diabetics had to be refrigerated, dry ice works well. People forget when a big storm hits, pharmacies are closed, and it doesn't hurt to have in an extra 30 day supply of much needed meds. After the storm passes, most roads will be closed except for Emergency vehicles, so if you needs meds like for diabetes, etc, now is the time to still do it.

Good luck, stay safe and have some fun! Especially if you got kids of any age, put their minds to ease they will be fine. I made a backsake which was waterproof for my boys, with things like coloring books, ect for them. And, little snack items, apples, little drink boxes. And, I also packed them a headphone set with their little tapes in it, so, they couldn't hear the racket as well.

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-27-2011 at 08:16 AM.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

The real fight will be between the storm, my two Zoeller sump pumps and my two Optima blue top marine batteries.
    You should be able to take turns recharging those batteries with your car alternator if you don't have a generator.

Once, 13 years ago, I needed to rent a generator to run my sump pump. The house was just being built and the power had not yet been hooked up. I have a generator now but have not had a need to use it.

Ian, I wouldn't spend alot of money or time on things for stuff like this. Once in a decade you would use it. Just take care of your neighbor if they need help, check on your neighbor if they are old, and always, have things on hand as you should anyway, like flashlights, those batteries, some food, extra water, and meds if you need them. And, loads of common sense not to panic. Just do what you need to do, leave your home to safety. Whatever, needs fixed when you come back, that is nothing. Things can be fixed.
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-27-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks wmills. I'm nearly ready. I'll move the furniture in now.

Will the flimsy 507 do it or be a let down? I think she'll hold up.

Then it's Bob's problem.
    If the water gets into your basement, what will be its path? If the water level outside is above your basement window, pumping it outside will be futile (or FYOOtile), like bailing out your boat while it is submerged
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Ian, I wouldn't spend alot of money or time on things for stuff like this. Once in a decade you would use it. Just take care of your neighbor if they need help, check on your neighbor if they are old, and always, have things on hand as you should anyway, like flashlights, those batteries, some food, extra water, and meds if you need them. And, loads of common sense not to panic. Just do what you need to do, leave your home to safety. Whatever, needs fixed when you come back, that is nothing. Things can be fixed.
    good advice Cookie. Come on Ian, come up here and help me out. I am old, and I need help too.

I think I am older, so I come first. Plus, Ian said, he would cut my grass. I am still waiting.

There is no mercy here, in this weather, I am showing a house. Hey, I will drive up in a boat to make a buck. lol.

One addt thing that is helpful is in having a waterproof fireproof box, with a lock. In it, I would put things like important homeowners insurance paperwork, important phone number to call the people, and, other things you don't wet ruined. Storing it in a built-it-closet is the best place to put it. I put small pics of my family in it as well. Things you can't replace. Throw in a few shekels cause you won't be driving far to an ATM.
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-27-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I think I am older, so I come first. Plus, Ian said, he would cut my grass. I am still waiting.

There is no mercy here, in this weather, I am showing a house. Hey, I will drive up in a boat to make a buck. lol.
    I am almost 69 now Cookie, but you are a lady anyway, so you come first. My wife asked me to cut the grass yesterday, but I was too busy putting stuff away and tying things down. Tomorrow I'll mow it all up if my shed with my mower doesn't blow away

How high's the water mama? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91OIaPRrDts soon to be

If we all paid a bit more in taxes and utility bills (to bury those pesky lines) I wouldn't have to make the 9 hour drive through hurricane force winds to help Bob.

The Red Cross is doing Government's work.

Thanks for all the tips though guys. They are well taken. It has started to rain here now.

Bob, you're a baby! 69 is yet too young!
    I am like 57 going on 157. going to work now. I got my rain hat on and bricks in my stilettos. That'll work...

I mentioned in another post that I pay about 8K a year in real Estate Taxes, and my last electric bill was over 800 bucks. I can't afford to pay anymore than that, so I think I pay my share. Now, my power company is a government power authority, and the real estate goes to the local, county and NY State governments. What do I get for all that money I give to the government: bubkas, nada. give more: absurd. The Red Cross does a fine job, and I contribute to them as best I can.

It started raining here about 9am, while I was dismantling my bird feeding station ( I even give free food to the birdies, and what do they do but crap all over my cars) giving everybody everything for free is not a good idea, Ian. It kills all incentives to do anything on your own and makes you think the world owes you a living.
    Personally I don't think you practice as you preach.

I probably pay about half as much as you in taxes because my house is smaller/cheaper. On income tax we write a big check to the Treasury every year because non-citizens don't get all the rebates my American friends here get so it's always underestimated. That might be why I live in a smaller/cheaper house.

What bugs me the most is that most Americans don' want Government in their lives even though they pay this money to them.

I expect services for my taxes and if that means a big Government to provide them so be it.

Effective infrastructure that won't go out in the wind and hurricane preparedness is a good example.

"Self-responsibility" is an idiotic notion. The poor and the elderly get left behind.

Government should be responsible for saving the day. Not people. Leaving each to fend for themselves is for the animal kingdom, not the human race.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-27-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Default Ian's winds shifted back to normal speeds

I probably pay about half as much as you in taxes because my house is smaller/cheaper. On income tax we write a big check to the Treasury every year because non-citizens don't get all the rebates my American friends here get so it's always underestimated. That might be why I live in a smaller/cheaper house.

What bugs me the most is that most Americans don' want Government in their lives even though they pay this money to them.
    I expect services for my taxes and if that means a big Government to provide them so be it.

Effective infrastructure that won't go out in the wind and hurricane preparedness is a good example.

"Self-responsibility" is an idiotic notion. The poor and the elderly get left behind.

Government should be responsible for saving the day. Not people. Leaving each to fend for themselves is for the animal kingdom, not the human race.
    You should be down in your basement manning your pumping station instead of stirring your venomous cauldron down there. Ptooey!