(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing reversed on Kinetico water softener

I removed the bypass valve. The inner ring shows "inlet B." The valve handle points up away from the tanks. With this setting, does the water cross over at the bypass valve? Does that mean it was plumbed correctly and now I have reversed it? I can post a picture if it would be helpful.

I would be interestd in HOW you decided it was backwards in the first place, unless the piping is exposed and you could trace it from the meter to the IN, or OUT, port on the softener. Since Kineticos are usually ONLY installed by their professional technicians, it would be unusual for them to make that mistake. If it was, the water flowing through the mineral bed backwards could create any number of weird conditions.
    Last edited by hj; 09-03-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by rmb View Post
    I removed the bypass valve. The inner ring shows "inlet B." The valve handle points up away from the tanks. With this setting, does the water cross over at the bypass valve? Does that mean it was plcorrectly and now I have reversed it? I can post a picture if it would be helpful.
    That valve is versatile in that you can reverse the flow depending on the direction of you incoming water. From top right to left to bottom right to left you have ports A-B-C-D. On the grey handle it will say either A-C or B-C. B-C water criss-crosses and A=C is straight down. Simple remove the screw in the handle. pull off the handle and take off that ring and reverse it. This is a common mistake when people move their softener.

The newer valves can also do A-D and B-D if the mount your by-pass facing to the rear of the softener instead of the front.

Do you want to tell me why having the grey one is important and why I mistakenly thought it was plumbed backwards?
    I wish I could have but I don't know Kinetico that well; but Andy (Water Solutions) does because he's a Kinetico salesman. I did think I had heard of a Kinetico BP valve that could be reversed but I wasn't sure.

We'll see if Andy helps you more than describing the operation of the BP valve or not.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I would be interestd in HOW you decided it was backwards in the first place, unless the piping is exposed and you could trace it from the meter to the IN, or OUT, port on the softener. Since Kineticos are usually ONLY installed by their professional technicians, it would be unusual for them to make that mistake. If it was, the water flowing through the mineral bed backwards could create any number of weird conditions.

I was incorrect that the plumbing was backwards because I didn't realize there was a crossover at the bypass valve. I can see the plumbing coming into the water softener. It comes from the direction of the shutoff valve and goes to what I now know is the B side of the Kinetico valve. The other pipe has a T with one side going to the cold inlet on the water heater and the other going off in the direction of the rest of the house.

This time I disconnected the water softener and did what I should have done the first time. I put a bucket under the pipes and turned the bypass valve to Service. That way I saw that the water was crossing over in the bypass valve. The softener is now back to being plumbed correctly.

This still doesn't solve the loss of water pressure. I will regenerate it a few times today and see if it gets any better.

Quote Originally Posted by water solutions View Post
    That valve is versatile in that you can reverse the flow depending on the direction of you incoming water. From top right to left to bottom right to left you have ports A-B-C-D. On the grey handle it will say either A-C or B-C. B-C water criss-crosses and A=C is straight down. Simple remove the screw in the handle. pull off the handle and take off that ring and reverse it. This is a common mistake when people move their softener.

The newer valves can also do A-D and B-D if the mount your by-pass facing to the rear of the softener instead of the front.
    I had noticed the B-C on the handle but had no idea what it meant. I got a flashlight to look at the valve more closely. The top left is A, top right is B, bottom left is C, bottom right is D.

Does Kinetico have a manual that explains some of these things. They are obvious if you know what you are looking for, but I would never have noticed the letters on the valves if you hadn't pointed them out.

I don't think there is anything in the owner's manual but in the tech sheet. Let me know if you are still losing pressure.

I am still having problems with pressure loss on one side only. The other side does not have a noticeable loss in pressure. When looking at the dual tanks, the one on the right has the valve over it. When turning the adjustment screw for a manual regeneration, the brine-rinse cycle on the right causes a loss in pressure. The water at the faucets doesn't completely shut off, but it is down to a slow stream for about 5 minutes.

The piston may be stuck and only partly opened. Have you ever taken the valve apart? Is there a prefilter on the unit?

The piston may be stuck and only partly opened. Have you ever taken the valve apart? Is there a prefilter on the unit?
    I have not taken the valve apart. If the prefilter is external to the softener, then it doesn't have one.

I would love to take the valve apart to try to figure out what is going on, but I have absolutely no idea what is inside the valve or what I am looking for. That is one of the reasons I would like to see an exploded view of the valve. I am not too thrilled with Kinetico for hiding this information. Does any other company make a similar valve with an actual manual that could give me some idea what is in the valve?

I have had customers with that Kinetico softener, and it was so "plugged up" that they had to have Kinetico remove it and rebuild it. Kinetico is NOT one of my recommended softeners. They are like Culligan, over priced and over hyped.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I have not taken the valve apart. If the prefilter is external to the softener, then it doesn't have one.

I would love to take the valve apart to try to figure out what is going on, but I have absolutely no idea what is inside the valve or what I am looking for. That is one of the reasons I would like to see an exploded view of the valve. I am not too thrilled with Kinetico for hiding this information. Does any other company make a similar valve with an actual manual that could give me some idea what is in the valve?
    I can walk you through it. Not so difficult. Can you send me your email address?

I can walk you through it. Not so difficult. Can you send me your email address?
    I sent you my email address by private message a couple of days ago. Did you receive it or do I need to try again?

Yes, thank you.

Default Kinetico Model 30

I have a Kinetico Model 30 that is about 11 years old After some problems developed I disassembled the entire head and cleaned it as well as the brian tank and tubing I also rebedded the tanks I am still having problems with what seems to me to be a very long backwash cycle That is the brian rinse and the backwash cycle It takes the better part of 3 hours to complete these cycle It also still doesn't appear to be using any salt The ventury valve in the head is clear as will as all the brian tubing and valve