goulds submersible can it be tested

Users who are viewing this thread

sunkentreasure

Reaction score
I am in desperate need of help. Our jet pump went out I bought a cheepy that. Didn't last 2 months took it back and long story short I love l+wes.today I was given a goulds submersible if I wanted to pull it. After 3 hours couldn't move my arms from pulling and hacksawing. Kinda bad to work 50 hrs a week and be this desperate in the usa. I finally have pump on the ground and the sticker is missing all but goul. So I have no no idea what the model number is. It has 4 wires going into motor and only 2 wires were connected the red wire and the green wire were not hooked up.the guy that gave me the pump wasn't 100 percent sure if the pump works. My question is can it be tested without buying a control box.if not I have one that is square d 20 to 40 psi sais universal for all pump switches with quarter inch connections. Diaphragm actuated. Part number fsg2j20cp will this one work and is there any way to find model of pump. Thank you

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Don't confuse a motor control box with a pressure switch. A 3 wire pump uses a control box to engage the start windings. I've never heard of bypassing one and running it with just 2 wires.

You would need to know the specs on the motor to take electrical measurements and to size the motor control. How deep was the the pump set and what gauge is the wire?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Measure the length of both ends of it. Maybe someone can deduce from the dimensions, how many stages it has. Electrical measurements might also give a clue of what HP it might be.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The reason for the 4 wire cable is that the well originally had a 3 wire pump plus a ground with a control box. It was replaced with a 2 wire pump so 2 wires are no longer required. To test it I'd connect the red and black wires to the 2 pump leads, put the pump in a tank of water with the outlet connected above the water, since you don't know if it's a 115 or 230 volt motor, I'd connect the wires to 230 volts and see if it pumps water. If it does, I'd install it in the well, connect the red and black wire to the motor side of a pressure switch and the 230 volts to the power side (be sure there is a bladder tank between the pump, pressure switch and the water demand). Turn on the water and it should fill the tank and shut off automatically. NOTE: you really need to know if the pump motor is a 115 or 230 volt motor. A qualified submersible pump installer can check the Ohms of the motor and tell you the voltage and horespower!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
If there are four wires going into the motor it's a four wire pump that requires a control box. . . other than that you'll need to find an experienced well driller/pump installer to tell you what horsepower and voltage motor that you have. As a last resort you may have to buy a replacement motor and control box. If you have to buy a motor, I would keep it simple and buy a 2 wire motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks