What can I use for Sump Pump Liner (Basin, Pit)? Can't find size I want

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Homeowner

Reaction score
I would like a rectangular sump pit that will let me set two primary pumps on the bottom. I mentioned this to a plumber and he said I could use a 5 gallon bucket if I wanted to.

Seriously, How thick must the container be? Do I need to be concerned about temperature of water and its affect on th sump liner? What is the least amount of depth the pit liner can have to work?
I would like to use a rectangular shape.

I talked with someone from Home Depot and they said I could use a heavy duty Tote made of polyethelene and that would work just fine. I am concerned that the height of the pump legs would wear or break a hole in the bottom. Where can I find a retangular contained that will do the job that is reasonably priced? Well under $50?

I would like to use a 12' by 24 inches wide, and 24 inches deep. I tried finding a regular sump pump pit that is cylindrical, but they all taper at the bottom and 16.5 inch bottom is just not wide enough for 2 primary pumps.

Thank you for ideas.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You find that size because it is the proper size for a single pump. For a two pump system, you have to special order the pit. WHY do you want two primary pumps? Normally, you would have one primary pump on the bottom of the pit, then the auxilliary one would be positioned above it and both would fit inside the standard basin. I think you have either OVER engineered your needs, or UNDER engineered them, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You absolutely can NOT use any recepticle that was designed and approve to handle sewage.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Way back when, the sump pit often was a tile cylinder...no bottom. The whole idea is to collect ground water and pump it out from under the house, so having a bottom sort of doesn't make sense. The drain pipes often come in above the bottom, just underneath the slab. If you have a big water problem, there's good and bad about having it deep - good is that there'd be enough water for the pump to not have to short cycle, bad because it's just that much closer to the water table. Often, you set the pump on a cement block or something like a paver, to keep it off the bottom and out of the potential dirt and sand that may accumulate. No idea what the current codes are except for the discharge...it can't typically go to the sewer (if you have one nearby - you probably wouldn't get permission to go into a combined or dedicated sewer). You might be able to plumb it to the storm sewer (if you're lucky enough to have one), but that often takes a plumber with a special license.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You absolutely can NOT use any recepticle that was designed and approve to handle sewage

Now WHY would that be the case? If it can handle sewage, then it can DEFINITELY handle surface water, but the reverse is NOT always true.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks