wall leaking on other side of shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Finch

Reaction score
Hey there, i just recently bought a house where the last owner re built the bathroom, which is a on suit in the master in the basement. I have just recently noticed that when we are showering the floor on our bedroom side is soaked. I have been told to check the shower head for cracks. i did that and no cracks there. i was also told to take off the hot cold handle and to check inside for leaks there. I should mention that the shower does have a seating area. No bath tub is installed. There is no water on the floor in the bathroom itself, just the bedroom side, could this be a indication that i may need to re grout the tiles.

I am at lost as i am not as handing as a average person, and this is my very first house.

Please advise.

Thanks Finch

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly built shower is waterproof without the tile and grout installed, so regrouting and adding caulk will not fix your problem. You are likely to need to tear at least some of it apart and rebuild, but it's more likely it's a total loss. SOrry about being blunt. If you're lucky, it's only the bench, and that may only require a partial tearout. As mentioned, take a bucket and see if you can determine where it's leaking from. But, consider that water can flow a long ways, and may take time before you notice it, so it's notoriously hard to tell without direct visual access. It may be easier to tear out some drywall in the bedroom to get a good look at what's going on, that is easier and cheaper to repair. If you're lucky, you will see where it's leaking, and it might suggest a patch. Long term, though, sounds like a rebuild may be in your future.

Finch

Reaction score
thanks JW and Jim this is very helpful. I will upload pictures as soon as i can. I just took a further look into the bench, and i am pretty sure it is coming from one of the corners of it. where the base and top meet on the bench there is a metal type of frame to square it off. the grout is completely gone and cracked. now if this is the case does this bench need to be ripped out to get all the moisture and water out or cutting the bedroom wall would be a easier and cheaper way?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks