Culligan Mark 812

Users who are viewing this thread

MrGeminiMN

Reaction score
Hello, I have Culligan Mark 812 which continuously regenerates it is half full of salt which appears not to go down, the drain hose I guess it it's called, continuously drains water. I have unplugged the unit from the power source and by passed the water softener just to get it to stop regenerating. not sure what to do or look for. I live intown so have city water. Please help. Can't afford to replace at this time. Thank You in advance.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a salt bridge and that can be broken so that the salt drops down.

MrGeminiMN

Reaction score
what is a salt bridge and how would I clear it. so far I have cleaned the plastic rod that has a floater on it that is in the salt bin.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The salt bridge is when the salt gets wet and then dries and forms a crust.... all the salt below the crust is removed as water comes in and then back out again as brine.. the crust is hard enough to hold the salt that is above it from falling down into the hole.
You will need a strong metal pipe of some form and a hammer to bound down through that crust and brake it up some so that the salt above can move down into that hole.
The other way is to remove the salt that you can til you can not remove any more because you have found the crust and then brake that crust.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm not familair with Culligan but would it get stuck on a backwash or rinse cycle and flow to the drain because of a salt bridge? It just doesn't seem like it should.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
My bad, I fixed on the wrong part....opps.

Mark 812 has a weak spot, that is under the motor where the piston is pulled out and pushed in. There is a white link between the motor shaft and the piston that likes to break, the challenge is getting ones hands on the part... culligan changed the setup to a tray where that link is at... and that also changed the piston.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks