Help me pick a pump please

Users who are viewing this thread

tkeoki

Reaction score
I'm getting the pump pulled and replaced tomorrow and trying to decide on size of pump.

Questions are two fold--

1) which pump to use in the current usage situation and
2) which pump If i decide to add sprinklers for about 3/4 acre

Here's what I know,

Well depth 660' (??? 4th hand info)
Water Level 269' (measured today while partially working pump was pumping 4gpm- no draw down for this limited test)
Pump level -- (won't know until we pull the pump)
Current pump 1HP

Current usage == pump and dump geothermal @ 6 gpm (99% of the time when geothermal running) 10 gpm (1% of the time when geothermal running) (only needs about 5psi)
House usage with 5 adults, 3 children, 3 bathrooms

The 1hp pump's barely provided enough water for the last few years. We've turned off the geo when we're showering, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 10 GPM, 1.5 Horsepower would give you better flow and pressure. So you wouldn't have to turn off the Geo to take a shower. But the added HP will up the energy cost a little for using the Geo.

tkeoki

Reaction score
I'm thinking of something like the Grundfos 16s20-18 so I could have some extra for irrigation; I already use the outflow from the geothermal for watering flowerbeds, etc, but would like to be able to have a more consistent irrigation for the lawn, etc.

Is the 2hp too much? Would it increase my energy costs for the geothermal significantly?

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a good pump. But it is going to try to produce 16 to 20 GPM. When your heat pump is using only 6 or 10 GPM, that pump will be cycling on and off. This is not going to increase your electric bill very much, but will cycle the pump to death in short order. If you install about 3 big pressure tanks you can reduce the cycling where the pump should last a few years. Or you can use a Cycle Stop Valve to keep the pump from cycling on and off while you are using less than 16 GPM. Grundfos pumps work well with Cycle Stop Valves because they have a good drop in horsepower. A CSV will stop the pump from cycling and make that 2 HP pump only use 1 HP worth of electricity when you are requiring very small amounts of water.

tkeoki

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been meaning to get a csv; I currently have a 120 gallon galvanized tank. What size csv would be best and would I install it just past the tank?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A CSV goes between the pump and the tank. With a galvanized tank there is probably some type of air injection system that needs to be considered when installing a CSV. Please provide details as to how the air is maintained in the tank. If there is a checkvalve/snifter/bleeder it needs special consideration.

tkeoki

Reaction score
There's just a snifter; I redo the air in the tank maybe once a year.

I don't know if it matters, but the pipe is 1 1/4 galvanized to the tank, and then 1 1/2 pvc to the house.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Describe your snifter. A snifter generally works in conjunction with a checkvalve and a bleeder. The checkvalve closes, the bleeder bleeds off the water between it and the checkvalve, and suction causes the snifter to let air into the pipe. There is usually a float valve (AVC) inside the tank that vents excess air. The quality of the bleeder determines whether it can withstand the additional pressure the CSV puts on it.

If all you have is a schrader valve that you use to put air into the tank, then you don't have a snifter in the true sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks