Temp Kitchen Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

landy

Reaction score
We're about to break ground on a full kitchen renovation and need some advice on plumbing to our temp kitchen. I would like to effectively relocate a simple run of the existing cabinets/countertop which includes a basic sink, garbage disposal and dishwasher. There is a space in our basement where there is currently a utility sink I could remove and ideally use the water supply/drain. The problem is that the location of the pipes would need to be shifted about 3 feet. I'm trying to get a sense of the complexity in extending the lines and re-installing the dishwasher and disposal as a DIY. While the temp kitchen would get full usage during the renovation project, the goal is to keep the setup in place for the long term as a low usage backup when entertaining. I'm looking to keep the project as simple as possible without too much concern over aesthetics - rather than re-plumb within the walls, my thought would be to simply make cutouts in the cabinets and run the pipe extensions within the base cabinets.

I'm a moderately handy person with an inclination to learn new skills. On the surface this seems like it would be manageable for someone with basic plumbing experience (just replaced my first hose bibb last weekend :D ) and a good project to gain more experience.

Given that I'm only moving the existing lines a few feet, are there any special considerations in moving the lines? I've read that I need to slope the drain .5" for every 2' - anything else to consider? Any concerns hooking the dishwasher and disposal into a drain that was used for a utility sink?

My remodeller has agreed only to moving the old cabinets/countertop to the temp location and is being a general pain any time I ask for even minor items so I would rather not hand over any more money for the plumbing and use this as an opportunity to try something new. Any thoughts would certainly be appreciated!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since this will be "temp to perm" you should do it right. The water lines would be straight forward. The drain has issues. You do want to ensure 1/4" per foot slope, as you will have problems if you don't. Equally important is the vent. We cannot tell without seeing what exists whether you have a vent, or how to vent the new drain.

DETAILS: It is important that the drain be at the right height to accept the sink drain, and the disposal further constrains that. The DW would just drain into the disposal, through an air gap on top of the sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Making a temporary connection means you can do it anyway that works. BUT, as soon as you say this "temporary connection" will be a permanent one, then you MUST do it according to code, and from here we cannot tell you how that would be. But your plumber will know what has to be done.

quote; My remodeller has agreed only to moving the old cabinets/countertop to the temp location and is being a general pain any time I ask for even minor items so I would rather not hand over any more money for the plumbing and use this as an opportunity to try something new

He is a carpenter and should NOT be doing anything with the sink. Hand your money over to a "real plumber" and do NOT try "something new" as far as your plumbing is concerned.

landy

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Jimbo. Here's a picture of the setup. 2011-08-18 19.54.02.jpg

The space shown was the original washer/dryer location hence the extra set of pipes in addition to those of the sink which I plan to remove. The new sink location would be more or less centered on the wall with the dishwasher to the left of the new sink. I do not see any venting in the current setup - I'm assuming this would be in place behind the drywall?

landy

Reaction score
He is a carpenter and should NOT be doing anything with the sink.

His team includes a licensed plumber who is doing all of the plumbing for the main remodel project - I am certain they could perform the work for the relocation. I'm just trying to assess whether or not this will be necessary.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
His team includes a licensed plumber who is doing all of the plumbing for the main remodel project - I am certain they could perform the work for the relocation. I'm just trying to assess whether or not this will be necessary.
Maybe he has some of that equipment Mike Holmes contractors use, like xray vision. But on the other hand, man, they sure rip open lots of walls to look for gremlins and stuff gone wrong

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I am certain they could perform the work for the relocation. I'm just trying to assess whether or not this will be necessary.

It WILL be necessary, if you are going to use this "temporary" relocation for a future "permanent" installation at a later date. Otherwise, at that time it might cost a LOT more to do it properly. As far as costs are concerned, you have to understand they you are a "captive" audience and have little leeway to negotiate the price if you want it done. Most contractors, because of liability and warranties, will NOT allow other contractors into THEIR jobsite until they have completed their work.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks