Shower handles

Users who are viewing this thread

Richrc1131

Reaction score
The cold water shower handle for some reason keeps coming loose. I've replaced it, but it keeps coming loose on that side. I thought that maybe the grooves on the valve stem were worn, but they don't look it.

I also tried moving the hot water handle over and it seems to come loose too, but not on the hot water valve stem.

I'm hoping the stem doesn't need to be replaced.

Any advice?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Pictures would help. But first I would replace both handles with OEM, if available. It does sound like the splines on the stem may be worn. Replacing the stem is not that hard. Also, the handle screw could be replaced...maybe the threads are worn.

Richrc1131

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, although I did swap the handles, I used the same screw. That may be it. I will also look into getting better handles.
Newbie question here: Does the brand of handle have to match the brand of stem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For best results, if you have an X-brand valve, you should use X's replacement parts. While some of the aftermarket replacement parts are okay, some are less than great. Is the handle tight when the screw is tight? Is it just that the screw comes loose? A drop of the blue thread locking compound might solve the problem if the screw or stem isn't messed up too badly. Use the blue stuff, as while it sets, it still allows removal eventually. The red stuff is meant more for permanent assembly and you might need to drill it out rather than screwing it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks