Trimming out a fiberglass combo shwr/tub

Users who are viewing this thread

jkhome

Reaction score
I have recently installed a Lasco 2 piece combo shower/tub assembly, as per the manufacture’s instructions. Screwed the mounting flanges on to bare wood, then overlapped the drywall to 3/8" to the unit walls (used vinyl j-channel for edge of drywall) Caulked with silicon between drywall and fiberglass.

The finished product looks OK, but I was thinking to add some other trim feature around the tub/drywall intersection. I understand that these tubs expand and contract more, Lasco recommends a minimum of 1/4" caulk joint for that.

Has anyone added something like ceramic bullnose trim, or exterior PVC trim, mounted on the drywall, caulked to the tub?

I would think as is, after a few years of cleaning, the paint on the drywall would start to get ragged.

Thanks John

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Hi John,

Tile is always an option. It will bond to the drywall, but the paint (or most of it) should be scraped off. You can then install the tiles with thin set mortar, available at Home Depot or Lowes.

jkhome

Reaction score
Thanks John

That should look much better, and hopefully a rookie like me can manage laying a tile border.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks